The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Hello to the community and my new 101 Scout

• 18 Mar 2021 6:30 AM
    Message # 10209205
    Anonymous

Dear 101 Scout Community,

my name is Max and I am a PhD student from the south of Germany. Yesterday I went to Oldenburg (800km up north) to complete the purchase of THE one bike that I've dreamed of since I first saw it in motion in Las Vegas in 2004. After that I "ran into it" several times, first in the Benjamin Button film from 2008, about a year after that in London and then in the video by Jay Leno that I must have watched more than 100 times since its release in 2014 on Youtube.

Though I had regularly checked the usual online market places in Germany I never came across a Scout that I deemed to be interesting enough to make a move. However about a week ago I saw the inconspicuous ad of the seller and everything appeared to be just as I had hoped to find it some day. After several phone calls back and forth, as well as an exchange of photos/videos on What´s App, I made the purchase without having seen the motorcycle live. Quite a risk I guess but since there were, acc. to the seller, about three other potential buyers, of whom I even know one here from Munich, I just took a leap of faith. Gladly, from my novice-perspective, it was worth it.

The seller (an avid collector of Indian Chiefs) gave me the following information on the 101 Scout:

1) 1928 Export Version

2) Original delivery to Chemnitz Germany (Albert Schuster)

3) From an unknown date until 1992 it was owned by a ship captain from the Hamburg area.

4) From 1992 until yesterday it was owned by a German architect.

5) There are some parts on it, that are not original like the horn, some nuts and bolts, the bag, etc.

6) It received extensive internal and some external work in the early 90s by a well-known person in the German Indian community.

My question to you would now be if you could tell me what exactly on the bike is not original/authentic and even a no-go. I never intend to sell the motorcycle and one day I´d like to hand it over to my children if they then still find vintage motorcycles interesting. Therefore it is my ambition to maintain it and carefully restore it as close to the 1928 condition as possible while keeping its beautiful patina.

For now I wish you all the best and good health!

Greetings from Munich

Max

10 files
  • 19 Mar 2021 3:31 AM
    Reply # 10212562 on 10209205

Congrats to the purchase, Max! I'll tell what I would do with it: Check the condition of the oil and gas tank inside with a snail camera, clean up if needed. Then a regular service, grease the bike up everywhere, there is some 20-25 positions for oil and grease service.... Check oil pump function, plugs, valve and breaker gaps, chain, brakes, head stock and wheel bearing play... Then ride it like you stole it and have fun!

I might ditch the cocker tires for some more durable and roadworthy tires and see to that I had thicker off road tire tubes in it..19 inch wheels is good and in fact an option from factory with Chief wheels. You have great sources for high quality spare parts in Germany and nearby, even tacho repair shops, so that shouldn't be an issue. The 101 club is a great resource and the German Indian club is large and would help you out big time.

If the engine is not run for many years or you are uncertain of the condition. Preferably with an empty oil tank, check the function of the oil pump. Measure the distance between the adjusting screw head and stop nut (A and B), mark up and take pictures of the position, remove the screw and keep the stop nut in the same position on the screw as best as possible.

Probe in the screw hole with a hardened steel wire (a spoke is ok) and push on the swage plate inside to feel that it moves in and out a few millimetres and spring back. Rust in the oil pump forward compartment can sometimes accumulate and jam the pistons and swage plate. A teaspoon of oil or light grease in the hole is not bad, before remount the adjusting screw with it's stop nut to the same position. 

If that is ok then with an empty oil tank or removed feed tube, remove the screw underneath (D) let someone kick the engine over and see to that the drum is turning, it is turning very slow, 19 turns of the crankshaft turns the drum one revolution. You can see 2 slots in the drum pass by in the hole if the drum is turning. Remount the screw plug preferably with some locktite. Original there is a thin lead washer that tighten from leakage, the seat in the pump body is concave for that reason. 

Fill the gas tank only, leave it for a day and night and check for leaks anywhere, especially into the oil tank. Faster results can be accomplished with acetone that has lower surface tension. 

Position of seeping small leaks can be spotted with sheets of single layer paper towel taped over areas, and wrapped to fittings and tubes. The towels can be applied also on test runs! 

If that is ok then fill the oil tank and remove screw (C) and bleed the feed tube from air, that can take a short while. When clear oil without bubbles is oozing out remount the screw, original there is a fibre washer that seals. I also use locktite on that screw because a lost screw will ruin the engine.

Be careful to not overtighten the oil tube nut, the oil pump casting is brittle. If oil leakage occurs, the lining up, or position of the oil tube to the pump is very precise and the tube might need some fine tuned bending. Or it is something wrong with the conical sealing area on the line or in the body. The precision of the tube position is equally important under the tank. The tube is very stiff so bending the tube is best and safest done with both ends disconnected and off the bike.

The tube should be mounted without stressing any of the fittings. Basically when tightening either of the nuts individually, the tube should not move, tweak or twist at all. It takes lots and lots of bending and test fits to get it good. Exact same goes for the gas line, any stress may induce a fatigue breakage of the copper tube after a period of time.

Tighten the nut on the pump always before tightening up the tank fitting nut (if something breaks at the tank fitting, replacement parts are easier to find). The oil drop on the tube might indicate you have a small leak at the tank fitting.

Nick_Moss@ripmax.com is selling test plugs, and advice on how to tune up the oil pump delivery can be found in other topics on this forum.

6 files
    Last modified: 11 Apr 2021 6:49 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 19 Mar 2021 7:28 AM
    Reply # 10213361 on 10209205
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Congratulations on your new bike, Max. As befits a motor approaching 80 years old, your bike has many small items which are not original to the bike as it left the factory, but I would not worry about this, There is no such thing as a no go if it helps the motorcycle run and perform safely. Any changes are part of the history of the bike. Follow Carl-Eriks advice, take care to get to know your oiling system, and ride and enjoy.

Welcome aboard.

Tim R

• 19 Mar 2021 7:46 PM
    Reply # 10215689 on 10209205

Very nice Max!  Good advice from Carl-Erik and Tim, get it in shape to ride then enjoy it, it's a beauty!

Because you mentioned an ideal to have it be correct, simply look in the R&O book and you'll find most of the answers.  Then, still enjoy the bike and make it correct, bit by bit, as the years go by if that's your goal!

• 21 Mar 2021 11:08 AM
    Reply # 10220349 on 10209205
    Anonymous

Dear Carl-Erik, Tim and Harry,

thanks so much for the detailed advice you have given me for the motorcycle. I am so very much looking forward to riding it for the first time once the snow has gone here in Bavaria. The R&O book´s ordered too and I shall take a closer look at the German Indian Club soon. Thanks once again! I shall post a first picture as soon as I get the chance to make one with beautiful scenery in the background.

Greetings from Munich

Max

• 29 Mar 2021 8:04 AM
    Reply # 10248156 on 10209205
    Anonymous

Dear 101-Community,

when I discovered that the username "indian101scout" hadn´t been taken yet on Instagram it seemed obvious to use it for content regarding my motorcycle and the ownership experience. Feel free to contact me via Instagram anytime.

Greetings from Munich, Germany

Max

• 05 Apr 2021 1:47 PM
    Reply # 10275440 on 10209205

Hello everyone. I am also a new 101 Scout owner as I recently purchased a 28 Scout DGP5807 which is a bike that was exported to Canada when sold new.  I purchased it from a gentlemen that had it since 1964 and he was the person that had it restored in 2000.  The bike has some minor issues resulting from being parked for a long time without being properly stored since 2001.  I am in Alberta Canada and would like to get into contact with any local 101 Scout owners if there are any.

The 101 owners site has already helped me find some parts required and I am happy to take advice from people with more experience than me.  

Thanks.

Andrew

3 files
  • 11 Apr 2021 6:58 PM
    Reply # 10300219 on 10209205

Welcome Andrew! That looks to be a fine bike, hope you will find it as fun and wonderful to ride as I do mine!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.