The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Assistance with Grip Controls, Please

• 06 Jun 2021 3:12 PM
    Message # 10598163
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Having a challenging time anchoring the outer control cable casing to the upper stop.  The spiral outer casing seems to made from Kryptonite.  I am attempting to use side cutters to separate a portion of the last coil, and the intention is to bend that over the upper stop.  I'm finding it near impossible to bend that coil without distorting the remaining coils.

Any technique or tool suggestions would be most appreciated.

John

• 06 Jun 2021 5:17 PM
    Reply # 10598416 on 10598163

My other thought is to use a round, tapered punch to expand the last spiral so it is larger than the hole in the upper stop.  That seems simpler...

• 07 Jun 2021 12:28 AM
    Reply # 10599477 on 10598163
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi John, I clamp it in a vice with a couple of turns sitting proud of the jaws, hold the side cutters on it vertically, rotate them so that the exposed turns are opened up to twice the radius, and then hammer flat against the jaws of the vice. 

• 07 Jun 2021 2:46 PM
    Reply # 10601989 on 10598163

A course thread nut, cut in half and used in a vice as a clamp around the spiral might work as a keeper without distorting the spiral too much while knocking in a punch and expanding the end turns?

Just an idea...

Last modified: 07 Jun 2021 2:48 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 09 Jun 2021 7:48 PM
    Reply # 10610408 on 10598163

Thanks, Tim and Carl-Erik.  Tim - your technique with the vise (and a little bit of heat) worked great.  Outer cables, upper stop, and clips are in place.  Inner wires are installed in the spiral blocks.  Next up is mounting the cable brackets and trimming the outer cables to length.

• 12 Jan 2022 11:56 AM
    Reply # 12257640 on 10598163

Continuing to install my hand grip controls.  Got the outer spiral cables mounted and cut to length, and the cable end sleeves installed on the mag and carb.  When I installed the new spirals and inner cables, there was a point where the left grip would hang up and refuse to move.  If I gave the inner cable a push, it would free up.  Definitely not smooth enough to use.

Researching the R&O Manual, this board, and my collection of paper WOWs, I ran across the attached diagram in Volume 6 Issue 2 from March 1989.  It's a dimensioned drawing of the spiral block pin, but importantly to me, it describes the areas of wear.  When I looked at the old pins I was trying to re-use, it became obvious that there was significant wear and a definite shoulder,  and I suspect that was binding up when the old pins were installed in new spirals.   I've got new blocks and pins on order.   This diagram did not get included in the R&O Manual.

Passing this lesson learned along in case anybody else runs into the issue.

• 15 Jan 2022 7:03 AM
    Reply # 12264337 on 10598163

I found in my files, a picture where the wear is clearly visible.

1 file
  • 16 Jan 2022 5:12 PM
    Reply # 12269073 on 10598163

Wow, Carl-Erik - those are some rough looking parts.  Amazing what we think is usable.

I've attached a photo of my hand control block and pin.  The wear from the spiral is clearly visible.  

My '29 came with a '31 handlebar and a mis-matched set of spirals.  I replaced the bar and spirals, but tried to re-use the blocks and pins.  Should have figured that wouldn't work...

1 file
  • 16 Jan 2022 6:00 PM
    Reply # 12269134 on 10598163

Equally important is not to hesitate to replace the handlebar "worm spirals", they wear the trace wider and becomes unprecise and heavy to use. Worms are fastened with 3 dowelpins or rivets at the back end of the handle, a bit fiddly but not that difficult to change. And the handles wear its flange thinner and becomes sloppy in the threaded handlebar collar. 

A kit with new handles, worm spirals, sliding blocks and pins is a sensible investment together with new wires and outer spirals. All that makes wonderful smooth and precise controls. Better than ordinary bowden wires!

1 file
    Last modified: 16 Jan 2022 6:13 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.