The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

DLX 50 carburetor

• 13 Dec 2021 12:33 AM
    Message # 12188238

hi, how does one know which is the low speed needle from the high speed needle? it has a different part number in the book, my two needles looks the same, don't even know if they belong to my carburetor!

• 15 Dec 2021 1:08 PM
    Reply # 12194837 on 12188238

The needles has different taper at the tip. Low speed has the longer tip and High speed has the shorter tip. Practically but unpractical, in a pinch it is possible to use needles with the same taper in both positions if they have the right lengths so they reach the needle seat. As the threads are same on both needles, when you turn the knob a certain amount, say 3 clicks, the different taper makes the measured amount of fluid pass a specific hole or orifice different. So with the longer taper you have a finer division of measurement than with the shorter tip. Of course the seats in the carb also are different, but as the needles never are turned all the way closed, it is only the amount of gas they are letting past that they regulate.

The picture is from my DLX 63. Tapers and lenghts may vary on different carb versions and brand.

1 file
    Last modified: 17 Dec 2021 11:04 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 16 Dec 2021 12:36 AM
    Reply # 12196040 on 12188238

thank you so much for your input Carl-Erik, your knowledge is much appreciated.

• 17 Dec 2021 2:25 AM
    Reply # 12198306 on 12188238
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

and the willingness to share, and the ability to describe technical issues clearly, to others , in a different language. Thank, Carl-Erik.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.