The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Primary Case interference with Brake Crossover Casting

• 28 Dec 2021 4:40 PM
    Message # 12220825

Hi Friends,

I have a 1928 101 project that I am working on that I received all in pieces.  I'm attempting to fit the motor in the frame.  The motor has had repairs made to both front and rear mounts.  I was able to verify the vertical position of the rear motor mount tab on the trans is positioned within a couple thousandths of another trans case I have with the original mount intact.  The fore-aft position of the motor in the frame is positioned so that the kicker gears mesh with each other but, in that position, the front part of the notch in the primary case hits the brake crossover casting.  The rear mount bolt drops into position thru the frame without any force.  The rear engine mount needs about 3/16" spacer between the frame and the rear mount tab (please see pictures). 

Is a spacer normally needed under the rear motor mount?

Thanks, -Blaine

4 files
  • 29 Dec 2021 3:18 AM
    Reply # 12221803 on 12220825
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Blaine, nice looking project. Not uncommon to need a little spacer there, its possible there is a slight deviation in the frame rail, or the bottom of your trns mount has worn away a little over the years. As long as the kicker gears mesh fine, and the motor mount is solid, you should have no problem. You will want to adjust the brake linkages rods a touch too, to prevent the linkage from snagging on the case. The clearance is minimal to start with, and most primaries show evidence of a little rubbing there at some point in their life. 

Once set right, I usually use a longer bolt and double nut it, using nylock nuts, but whatever you use, make sure that rear mount stays tight, and check it regularly before riding, along with the oil level.

• 29 Dec 2021 5:22 PM
    Reply # 12223598 on 12220825

Thanks Tim...  I will continue going forward.

• 30 Dec 2021 12:58 AM
    Reply # 12224272 on 12221803
    Tim Raindle wrote:

Hi Blaine, nice looking project. Not uncommon to need a little spacer there, its possible there is a slight deviation in the frame rail, or the bottom of your trns mount has worn away a little over the years. As long as the kicker gears mesh fine, and the motor mount is solid, you should have no problem. You will want to adjust the brake linkages rods a touch too, to prevent the linkage from snagging on the case. The clearance is minimal to start with, and most primaries show evidence of a little rubbing there at some point in their life. 

Once set right, I usually use a longer bolt and double nut it, using nylock nuts, but whatever you use, make sure that rear mount stays tight, and check it regularly before riding, along with the oil level.

I just looked at  my 3  28,s   they Are all close ,but the bolt head  is  outboard   of the   join  in castings    ,  and  of course very close,.  remember the   bolt  goes clockwise  looking  at yjour Photo  

Regards Phil Jenner

• 30 Dec 2021 6:34 PM
    Reply # 12226490 on 12220825

Hi Phil,  With the rear brake rod connected it looks like the bolt head is just clear of the case when operating the brake arm over its full range.  The bolt head is behind that casting joint as you said.  Thanks, better to check now than have an issue later.  -Blaine

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.