The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

GPS speedo

• 05 Feb 2022 8:23 AM
    Message # 12576766

I am trying to figure out which GPS handlebar mounted speedo/odometer to use as I’d like to know how far I’ve traveled on a tank of gas.  Randy suggested that a lot of people use them and I thought I’d ask for any suggestions as I’m not very tech savvy and there are many to choose from on the internet.  Any advice or insights would be appreciated.  

Also was curious what the average mpg was?

Thanks for any help. 

Joel

1 file
  • 06 Feb 2022 12:43 AM
    Reply # 12578185 on 12576766
    Anonymous

$25 GPS speedometer, usefull to calibrate

1 file
  • 08 Feb 2022 1:46 PM
    Reply # 12584795 on 12576766

I use a Garmin 130.  It has multiple screen options.  I use the odometer, speed and battery strength options only.  I mount it to the handlebars with a K-edge holder.  I use felt to insure a tight fit for the holder to the handlebars.  The holder stays on the bike.  The garmin is easy twist on and off to be able to charge.  I have not had any trouble with  the holder or the garmin moving or falling off the handlebars.  I have on occasion not paid attention to how well the garmin was charged and been on a ride where I did not have sufficient power. I carry an Energizer Qualcomm 3.0 quick charge and cable for the garmin and my phone.  To date I have not had to use it. 

As I continue to ride the bike, dial it in  and become more confident my plan is go on longer trips.  If necessary I will probably get either a handlebar bag or a bicycle top bar bag  for the energizer battery.

Hope you are enjoying your 101 at least as much as I am mine

• 09 Feb 2022 8:11 PM
    Reply # 12588477 on 12576766
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Seeing as we are building  frame of reference here, Rob Mathias has them on both his Indians, and is a big fan for ease of recording mileages and speeds. He uses a Garmin Edge 200, the website for which tells me that it can calculate  how many calories you have burned as well, I assume that comes into play if you have starting troubles or need to push it home.

• 09 Feb 2022 8:22 PM
    Reply # 12588487 on 12576766

As for  mileage, George Yarocki carefully recorded his gas use and mileage on a run to Florida in 1944, two up, and averaged between 60-65 mpg over the whole trip, on wartime low octane pool petrol, which is round about what the factory claimed. Noone seems to be able to get anywhere near that on a 45 these days, Ken Lee and myself both reckoned to early 50s mpg on a long run sitting at 50-55 mph for a UK Gallon, most people seem to work on early 40s mpg US. Food for thought. Would be interested in a lot more current data on that, particularly from anyone who is ' watering down' their gas with a little parafin (kerosine) . I am looking at you, Adrian in New Zealand.

• 11 Feb 2022 4:57 AM
    Reply # 12591968 on 12576766

I measured fuel consumption using an old Garmin ETrex GPS unit and measured fuel quantities when I first started using my 45.  My worst case in general usage was 37mpg (imperial) which is what I use to plan longer routes. I think this works out at 31mpg US. Average consumption is 45mpg imp, 37 US.  I do run very slightly on the rich side due to a couple of nip-ups early on, but it's looking like I'm getting figures which are way off the mark! It'd be useful to get that bit of extra range per tankful...

Last modified: 11 Feb 2022 4:58 AM | Stuart Morgan
  • 12 Feb 2022 8:15 AM
    Reply # 12594633 on 12576766

Don't think you are way off the mark Stuart, suspect that is round and about what most people are averaging . have you got stock flywheels or solid ones? I wonder if that makes a difference, my highest mpg was on a bike with original 8 1/2 lb flywheels (each), I have always got slightly lower figures with 10lb solid flywheels. Maybe not the reason tho. Hmmm. Also suspect the historical figures are with lower octane petrol, and that we do not get a complete burn on our low compression motors with modern fuel. All guesswork and whatifery here tho. Motors seem to run very hot around exhaust port area, suspect unburnt fuel ignitng in the exhaust port and upper pipe ? My short frame is a quite impressive flame thrower run without pipes on.

• 14 Feb 2022 1:54 AM
    Reply # 12597776 on 12576766

I use a Garmin Edge 25. Made for bicycles but works just fine. Small simple and the battery life is very good.  

1 file
    Last modified: 14 Feb 2022 1:56 AM | Jon Gillman
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.