The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Battery Box Side Stand Interference

• 26 Jul 2022 12:57 PM
    Message # 12862824

Wondering if this is the wrong side stand for my 1930 101 Scout?  The black bracket that holds the Red battery box was trimmed by a previous owner to get the reaction arm of the side stand to fit.  When I try to install my new battery box it sits on top of the side stand reaction arm and won't slide into the slots on the black mounting bracket.  Please let me know what's wrong here... 

3 files
  • 27 Jul 2022 7:58 AM
    Reply # 12863731 on 12862824
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Gary, the arm connected to the sidestand that sits on the frame cross rail has been added by someone or it is the wrong sidestand. They have fitted it this way to stop the sidestand rotating on the frame tube. You may be better fitting another after market sidestand ( some generic british ones fit better and are safer ) . I fitted fitted one a few years back that sat under the front left footboard and had a spoon style foot that sat just behind the rear of the footboard worked really well. 

If you wish to use the stand you have, you may be better off removing the tang  and drilling the bracket to mount a grub screw . Personally, I would look at exploring other options, as those sidestands seem to be specifically designed to dig into the ground and throw the rider off the bike if you forget to lift it and ride off.I know several people who have done this and been lucky not to seriously damage themselves or the bike. ( One guy tried to turn left out of a gas station, the stand dug in , and he was catapoulted across three lanes of traffic and into a guard rail, bending the bike and breaking a foot and a wrist, another nearly rode over a cliff in the Catskills after stopping to take a picture. Both were experienced 101 riders)

Last modified: 27 Jul 2022 7:59 AM | Tim Raindle (Administrator)
  • 27 Jul 2022 8:59 AM
    Reply # 12863795 on 12862824
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

It's certainly different than the side stand on my 1929 model, which does not interfere with the (repro) battery box.  Photo attached.

I purchased a Norton sidestand from Andover Norton at Tim's suggestion - have not installed it yet.

John

1 file
  • 28 Jul 2022 7:38 AM
    Reply # 12865502 on 12862824
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Gary asked me offline for details of the stand I purchased.  I sent the info to him, but figured others may be interested.  Details of the specific Norton stand are in the July 2020 WOW (thanks to Rock).

• 28 Jul 2022 1:57 PM
    Reply # 12865937 on 12862824

Problem is that the sidestand is very difficult to prevent from turning on the tube, it is very high stress on the clamp when the bike lean on the sidestand. I would reconfigure the support, cut off and reweld to something like on John's side stand.

But be particular with the bikes angle when on the stand, too little and it easily tip over the wrong way. Also if you have the older stand with no foot, just an knife edge, it is way better to weld on a foot as the knife edge has a nasty tendency to sink through the road surface especially in hot weather! And the bike tips over when that happens! Listen to the guys, there is better sidestands to fit.

Also watch out for a leaking carb when on the side stand! The float has to have ample room sideways so it does not hang up on the walls in the bowl (meaning fitting without much play on the pivot pin), and the needle seat needs to be perfect in order for the carb to seal when leaning stationary.

Be very aware that original rubber footboard mats do swell up and breaks apart when subjected to gas! When the bike is on the center stand, drips from the carb does not reach the footboard so if a sidestand is mounted you can be in for a really heartbreaking surprise when the original footboard mat is ruined! I managed to save mine sort of, after a full year of gentle gradual press in a vice between soaking paper and cardboard...

Last modified: 28 Jul 2022 2:15 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 29 Jul 2022 3:06 AM
    Reply # 12866626 on 12862824

What's worse than the swelling footboard rubbers is the transfer of fuel/rubber mix from the mat to the bottom of your shoe.  This is a very effective lubricant and makes clutch operation an even more interesting experience than normal!

I rescued my mat by piling it high with kitty litter, worked a treat, was flat and dry in no time at all.

Last modified: 29 Jul 2022 3:09 AM | Stuart Morgan
  • 29 Jul 2022 5:21 AM
    Reply # 12866679 on 12862824

Just found a picture example on the net, of a very mild swelling of the footboard mat. Mine was way worse after carb dripped gas all night...

And in the same advert (with very good pictures, thanks for the tip John) an example where the lower frame tube was distorted by sidestand clamp tightened hard to prevent it from moving. Better to weld on or construct a support arm if you want to use a sidestand.

2 files
    Last modified: 29 Jul 2022 5:38 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.