The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Right hand throttle control conversion

• 29 Aug 2022 3:39 AM
    Message # 12899312

Hi. I have a brother who has a prosthetic leg on his left leg and therefore has difficulty operating the clutch pedal. He needs to construct a manual handclutch lever on the left side. This means he needs to move the throttle to the right side.

Has anyone seen any conversion kits to shift the throttle and ignition controls. I've seen it before but can't find it now.

Regards

Jorgen

• 30 Aug 2022 2:26 AM
    Reply # 12900534 on 12899312

Hi, just swap the cables from carburettor to magneto and vice versa without touching the handle bar twist grips. The cables should be long enough!

• 30 Aug 2022 7:43 AM
    Reply # 12900715 on 12899312
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

You will need to swap the spirals out, as the left hand twist grip has a pull action for the carb, and the right hand twist grip has a push action for the magneto advance on a standard set up. Both twist grips have a left hand spiral on the stock set up. Walkers or Greers will sell right hand spiral twist grips. It may be worth looking at replacing the cables and internals as well if there is any marked wear or kinks in the cables. 

Grip Control Sleeve Assembled (RH Spiral) ( Not Indian Standard but some prefer this option)

<< Previous in HANDLEBAR and GRIP CONTROL GROUP Next in HANDLEBAR and GRIP CONTROL GROUP >>

Price: $68.00

Walker Machine Item Number: FE-4111

Indian Part # & Factory #: N/A / S1414Y

Email this page to a friend

Quantity:

Jon Szalay has a hand clutch set up on his scout for the same reason, anyone got any pictures? I have had a search thru my files but cant find them.

• 31 Aug 2022 6:24 AM
    Reply # 12902141 on 12899312

I’m not sure if my  28 bike is standard but both my twist grips are pulling when twisting inward , same as my 741

• 08 Sep 2022 11:31 AM
    Reply # 12911183 on 12899312

There has been numerous ways owners has converted Indians to hand clutch. Here's a few examples.

15 files
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.