The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Oil pump feed line shutoff valve

• 04 Sep 2022 10:39 AM
    Message # 12906325

All. Thanks for the advice on the magneto issue and with that sorted I am trying to now solve an oil pump issue.

My 29 101 works well and I have the oil pump set at what I think is a reasonable amount of oil flow but the problem comes when I shut the motor off. The oil will start to flow even faster than what the pump puts out. I can run the bike and then shut it off and drain the crankcase of used oil and then watch the oil tank completely drain through the motor with the engine off. The rate it drains is very fast and is dependent on how warm the oil is. I took the oil pump apart and it all seems fine to me but there isn't much to it. Is it just worn out or what might cause this issue? I am trying to find some type of shut off valve I can install in the oil feed line to the pump but that isn't a real solution just a band aid.

Any ideas?

Andrew

• 05 Sep 2022 2:35 AM
    Reply # 12906916 on 12906325

Hi Andrew, a shut of valve isn’t a bad idea, most bikes leaks oil in the sump when garaged, both my bikes do, so does my friends’ British bikes but make sure you install a valve that grounds the magneto when in off position otherwise you’ll destroy your engine if you forget to turn it on when starting your bike.

• 05 Sep 2022 7:53 AM
    Reply # 12907018 on 12906325
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Thats good advice from Daniel if you do put  shut off on it. 

Is it definately the oil pump thats leaking that fast, not down thru the hand pump ? 

• 06 Sep 2022 1:20 AM
    Reply # 12907728 on 12906325

I believe that it is the feed pump line because when I was adjusting the oil flow with the special bolt that came from Eric it would start to flow more oil with the engine shut off than it did when it was running as I was setting the oiler flow rate.  I also have a shut off valve in the hand pump line that I am assuming works.

I am checking to see what Walker Machine has that might work.

• 08 Sep 2022 6:30 AM
    Reply # 12910762 on 12907018
    Tim Raindle wrote:

Thats good advice from Daniel if you do put  shut off on it. 

Is it definately the oil pump thats leaking that fast, not down thru the hand pump ? 

Ive found  that  it depends where the engine stops  ,  some times  over a week  ( we try to ride weekly)   Ill drain  about   40ml  off   over a week,  other times next to noting, Port  position in the pump and wear  must all effect  the  amount of bypass oil when stationary !

I have modified  by rethreading   Later  J model and VL  HD    hand pump valves    that  do seal well too  . as i have had the Indian type  bypass  on earlier scouts with  no inline taps !

• 08 Sep 2022 1:06 PM
    Reply # 12911340 on 12906325

Your oil pump can either be scored, very worn or perhaps assembled with the wrong drum inside. The pump seals only with the fine interference fit between the turning drum and body, a fit that measures in parts of thousands of an inch. The pump body bore size is classified by the stamp nr (1 to at least 6) on the outside and the turning drum probably selected and hand fitted at the factory.

Before anything I would make sure that the hand oil pump oil tube is plugged shut.

5 files
    Last modified: 08 Sep 2022 5:30 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.