The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Looking for Pistons for a 101 Indian Scout

• 05 Oct 2014 1:49 PM
    Message # 3116770
    Deleted user

Looking for pistons for a 101 Scout in STD size. Wondering  if sport scout pistons will work ?? We are sleeving the cylinders back to std bore size in my shop. Also looking for a flywheel part # 28-C-24  or even a good set of fly wheels for a 101 Scout. Thanks in advance for any or all replies.

Dave Helton

Last modified: 05 Oct 2014 3:44 PM | Deleted user
  • 06 Oct 2014 5:41 PM
    Reply # 3117580 on 3116770
    Deleted user
    Dave Helton wrote:

Looking for pistons for a 101 Scout in STD size. Wondering  if sport scout pistons will work ?? We are sleeving the cylinders back to std bore size in my shop. Also looking for a flywheel part # 28-C-24  or even a good set of fly wheels for a 101 Scout. Thanks in advance for any or all replies.

Dave Helton

Found std 101 pistons at Walker Machine , still looking for flywheels.

Dave Helton

• 07 Oct 2014 5:50 PM
    Reply # 3118539 on 3116770

I would recommend new flywheels instead of the original spoked flywheels. Old original is of course usable and fine in many cases but are a gamble to use even the later version solid flywheels have a tendency to crack at the holes.

Old original flywheels needs a thorough inspection and control for cracks and the condition of the tapered shaft holes. If the wheels are a mismatched set it is not certain they ever will line up straight in all cases, and even a matched set for best result would need correcting of the holes. And a possible rebalance, at least a checkup.

George Yarocki is showing the proceedure of honing the holes on a youtube clip by Jeff Alperin, and if you are careful with following that and the recommendations of torque the shafts you should have a fighting chance to avoid flywheels from crack and split.

Still it is safer to use new cast or steel billett flywheels. There is numerous providers today, Greg Hutchinson, S&S, Truett & Osborn, Breed flathead motors, Bob Nichols and others that makes top of the line flywheels for the Scout engine.

The total weight of the wheels can differ slightly between variants and it might differ a bit in the character of the engine response. Heavier wheels is fine for riding in a hilly area where you want a bit torquier feel, and light wheels for twisty roads with a lot of up and downshifting. However the difference could be marginal.

Last modified: 07 Oct 2014 6:08 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 07 Oct 2014 9:06 PM
    Reply # 3118668 on 3116770
    Deleted user

Do the Walker Machine pistons have oil rings? Also I used flywheels from Truett & Osborn Nice flywheels. I wouldn't waist time on using stock flywheels. They crack and are expensive if you find them.

Thanks for the replies.

• 08 Oct 2014 12:31 PM
    Reply # 3119712 on 3116770
    Deleted user

The Walker machine pistons for a 101 scout come with, pins, clips and ring set, but they only sell STD and .010 over size .I am sleeveing the cylinders back to std in my shop since they are out to .060 and scored up bad. I have been told that sport scout pistons will work which is a less expensive option.

Dave Helton

• 09 Oct 2014 12:00 PM
    Reply # 3120488 on 3116770
    Deleted user

Does any one have current contact info for Greg Hutchinson ? I tried emailing him using this email found on virtual Indian hheroes@ozemail.com.au and received a delivery failure email back. I am interested in his replacement flywheels for a 101 Scout.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post. Dave Helton

• 09 Oct 2014 4:36 PM
    Reply # 3120616 on 3116770

I thought Walker Machine also carried those from Greg. Anyhow his address is hheroess@bigpond.net.au

• 10 Oct 2014 1:26 PM
    Reply # 3121138 on 3116770
    Deleted user

Thanks for the correct email for Greg I will contact him about his flywheels and also check with Walkers . I am leaning towards the Truett and Osborn flywheels at this point though. Thanks to all who have helped with info during my search for 101 parts .

Dave Helton

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.