The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

nickle plating

• 07 Oct 2014 9:03 PM
    Message # 3118667
    Deleted user

I need to nickle plate my cast parts and some brackets for my 101 Scout. Is it an electroless nickle process to get the satin finish? Anybody have a source? I

Thanks for the replies.

• 11 Oct 2014 12:53 PM
    Reply # 3121589 on 3118667
    Deleted user

Electroless nickel is what I have used for 35 years to plate Indian cylinders and parts.  It is the only way to get the plating all the way down in between the fins. It does have a satin flat look to it. We prep our cylinders using reverse plating process to strip the old plating that's left on the parts, then sand blast and then glass bead blast for a matt satin finish before the part goes into the electroless nickel plating tank. If you want it high polish look then polish the parts first before plating them. I use big rubber corks to mask off the areas like the cylinder bores and intake and exhaust ports, the threads we mask with electricians tape to protect the threads. The problem will be to find a shop in your area that will take on the job. Electroless  nickel is used in Industrial plating shops and most will not do this work . It is quite a simple process but they make a big deal out of it. I have used the same plater for many years so he takes care of my plating on these Indian parts. I do all of my own prep work then take them to him to dip in his tanks. We plate cylinders first and then do the boring and valve seat work afterwards in our own home machine shop.

Last modified: 11 Oct 2014 12:58 PM | Deleted user
  • 09 Dec 2014 7:16 PM
    Reply # 3167155 on 3118667
    Deleted user

I purchased an Electroless Nickel plating kit from Caswell. I used it this weekend and it worked great! Easy to use and quick. A must for all restorers!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.