The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 crank timing

• 21 Sep 2011 2:44 AM
    Message # 704848
    Deleted user
    Hi all,

i am new to the association, but have a couple of questions in restoring my 101.

A little bit about me; my name is ryan, im from brisbane australia, and recently i am the very proud owner of a 1931 scout 101.

My father and i have been working on the bike for the last couple of months, though have hit a stand still waiting on some parts to come in.

My question is though, we pulled the rightside crank case off the bike to have a look at the oil pump set up - as it is not original when we bought it. but now when putting the crank case on we have noticed one of the cogs has come out. is there a specific way the cogs have to align? i noticed there are some score marks in the last two cogs. do these alight for timing or how does the timing work.

Some information and or directions/ photos would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan
  • 22 Sep 2011 7:37 AM
    Reply # 706013 on 704848
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)
    Ryan Wall wrote:Hi all,

i am new to the association, but have a couple of questions in restoring my 101.

A little bit about me; my name is ryan, im from brisbane australia, and recently i am the very proud owner of a 1931 scout 101.

My father and i have been working on the bike for the last couple of months, though have hit a stand still waiting on some parts to come in.

My question is though, we pulled the rightside crank case off the bike to have a look at the oil pump set up - as it is not original when we bought it. but now when putting the crank case on we have noticed one of the cogs has come out. is there a specific way the cogs have to align? i noticed there are some score marks in the last two cogs. do these alight for timing or how does the timing work.

Some information and or directions/ photos would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan
    hi ,ryan . there should be marks on all the gears to line them up , the small one (crankshaft pinion ) , drives the front cylinder cam , which in turn drives both the rear cylinder cam and the idler gears which turn the magneto gear . all marks run alternately on a tooth and between a tooth ,the two medium sized (idler )gears        are identical . 
    i think there are some pics of this on the 101 assoc yahoo group website . 
    the best way to make sure you have it right is to check the valve openings and timing the spark by removing the cylinder heads and sticking a six inch rules down the bore , to measure where in the stroke all this is happening .

if you dont have a shop manual from george yarocki , send off for one today .
               hope this helps ,
                      let me know how you go,if you are still stuck i will try to do a better job of explaining , and try to find some pics to email ,
                             tim r
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.