The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Generators

• 28 Dec 2020 10:49 AM
    Message # 9468236

I am in the process of getting my newly acquired 1930 101 together and on the road (spring is my goal) with tbt help of Randy Walker and am looking for any insights into a generator for the bike. I believe an auto lite 6v is correct but impossible to find and am considering a 12v replacement as I believe there are some out there that fit and work well? Randy even mentioned a VW gen?

anyway I’d love to hear your insights, experience and recommendations regarding type and sources. While I’d like to find a 6v correct one I’d also like to have all my hair back and a million dollars inthe bank...unlikely all the way around I am guessing!

Thanks for any help or advice and here’s to a happy and healthy New Year. Can’t get any worse. 

Joel in Springfield.  

• 29 Dec 2020 7:29 AM
    Reply # 9485601 on 9468236
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Joel, here are a couple of emails from Antonio Esteves (esteves7@gmail.com) (Portugal?) from my earlier research into options for my '29 101.

22 April 20:

First would need to ask if you're looking for a DU5 or a DU7.

Second if you're in need of an alternator,  at 12 volt output,  at the price of  430€ ( your price ) plus shipping.  ( it weights less then 2 kg.) or, an standard generator, priced at 760€ ( your price ) plus shipping.  The gen is std 3 brushes, w/  electronic  cutout, (for electronic regulation add 50€, in which case they work 2 brush system).

For the dU7 generator, orders are relatively delayed in time and can´t say exactly when, but most probably into 4 to 6 weeks from order. For the alternator, i had the news that my parts from laser cut  will be ready this week so, 2 to 3 weeks expected delay ( the same for a DU5 gen).

Looking forward your news, 

Best regards, 

António Esteves

10 May 20:  If we talk about  generators, there is the option between 6 or 12 volt, no matter DU5 or DU7.  that are equally priced.

The DU's perfor very similar. It's only a question of respect for the correct period  fitting.  DU7 is a bit more technically  evoluted but they perform similar and share the very  same inductor and armature.

According to application chart until March 28 it was supposed to be  the DU5. From there, DU7 but... not always... I think they were putting away what they had in the shelves before changing the model. 

In the past i had alternators working under the 6 volt system but i can´t get those rectufuers/regulators at the moment. 

I'll be happy to assist on any other related question.

• 29 Dec 2020 7:50 AM
    Reply # 9485962 on 9468236
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Joel, your bike should have a Splitdorf DU 7, the Autolite was brought in for the 1931 season. 

The repro DU7 from Antonio is a good option, and available in 6 or 12 volt, with a solid state regulator fitted, so you can use a sealed battery, I believe.

A couple of friends have recently bought the alternator option, which, in my opinion, has too strong a pull on it, and may be overtaxing the generator drive. It also creates an annoying whine.

Considering that you are only running lights and horn, and don't need extra juice for starting or running the engine, I would think that the repro DU7 would be the better option.

It is also possible to fit either a VW generator, or something like a Kubota lawn tractor alternator, but both will take some bracket fabrication.

We fitted a Cycle Electric generator to a friends 31 scout, this is the same diameter as the Autolite, so a 1931 mounting bracket can be used, but then you need to make a slightly wider seat spring frame to fit it width wise. The Cycle Electric genny is the got to modern replacement for Autolite gennys on Chiefs. 

Keep us updated on your project.

Happy new year,

Tim

• 29 Dec 2020 12:59 PM
    Reply # 9491403 on 9485601
    Anonymous
    John Lindberg wrote:

Joel, here are a couple of emails from Antonio Esteves (esteves7@gmail.com) (Portugal?) from my earlier research into options for my '29 101.

22 April 20:

First would need to ask if you're looking for a DU5 or a DU7.

Second if you're in need of an alternator,  at 12 volt output,  at the price of  430€ ( your price ) plus shipping.  ( it weights less then 2 kg.) or, an standard generator, priced at 760€ ( your price ) plus shipping.  The gen is std 3 brushes, w/  electronic  cutout, (for electronic regulation add 50€, in which case they work 2 brush system).

For the dU7 generator, orders are relatively delayed in time and can´t say exactly when, but most probably into 4 to 6 weeks from order. For the alternator, i had the news that my parts from laser cut  will be ready this week so, 2 to 3 weeks expected delay ( the same for a DU5 gen).

Looking forward your news, 

Best regards, 

António Esteves

10 May 20:  If we talk about  generators, there is the option between 6 or 12 volt, no matter DU5 or DU7.  that are equally priced.

The DU's perfor very similar. It's only a question of respect for the correct period  fitting.  DU7 is a bit more technically  evoluted but they perform similar and share the very  same inductor and armature.

According to application chart until March 28 it was supposed to be  the DU5. From there, DU7 but... not always... I think they were putting away what they had in the shelves before changing the model. 

In the past i had alternators working under the 6 volt system but i can´t get those rectufuers/regulators at the moment. 

I'll be happy to assist on any other related question.

My '28 short frame came with a VW 6v generator installed.  The original VW pulley shaft is cut off flush and the generator is driven from what was the fan end.  The cast lug looks original but I doubt it's the same diameter as the original so I don't know where it came from.  The  VW regulator sits on top in its original position. I have to say it really works well and is an inexpensive way to go.  Aesthetically it's a little larger than the original.  Only Scout purists notice it.  Of course on the short frame it mounts in front of the seat tube.
  • 29 Dec 2020 2:28 PM
    Reply # 9493039 on 9468236

Thanks for the great info...eager to learn as much as I can about my new ride and this definitely helps. I've sent an email to Antonio and am eager to hear more .  I have a 48 chief with a Goulding hack  but the 101 was always my dream bike and after 35 years I found one and am looking forward to riding it this Spring God willing and the creeks don't flood, as my old man used to say.

I will keep you posted as to my progress...

Joel

• 30 Dec 2020 8:57 AM
    Reply # 9511961 on 9468236
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Will look forward to hearing your progress Joel. Sounds like an article in the making for the next wow.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.