The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front Brake anchor tube

• 05 Jan 2021 5:29 PM
    Message # 9701769

During this winter I’m doing some R & M on my 1930 101. I noticed that the front brake plunger tube is rubbing the tire on the right side. Using the shop manual I checked the distances spelled out, center of drop center rim to inside backing plate and edge of rim to inside edge of brake drum. Wheel doesn’t seem loose or too tight. Any ideas? Is there an adjustment Im unaware of? Could the plunger tube springs going into the forks be bad? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

• 08 Jan 2021 11:20 PM
    Reply # 9767303 on 9701769

I doubt the springs for the plunger can make that. An oval brake drum together with a poor flatspring for the brake shield may make the shield and the plunger rattle enough to touch the wheel...check the wear on the pin for the plunger tube..you don't want that to break off.

Rim offset should be a bit to the left, between 1/2" to 5/8" from the outer edge  of the brake drum. And if you take the fork off, it is easier to check if it is bent somehow. Another very sensitive area are the holes for the rockers, making the wheel canted a bit. Anything that can tilt the wheel somehow. Uneven wear in  bushings or shafts for the spring or rockers, unequal length of the links to the spring, they can straighten out a bit when hard bottoming out in an accident or big pothole...all that small stuff can make a difference.

1 file
    Last modified: 09 Jan 2021 12:08 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 11 Jan 2021 10:49 PM
    Reply # 9850517 on 9701769

Thanks Carl-Eric for the advice.

Here’s an update and what I found. I removed the whole assembly and front wheel. Anchor tube was in good shape and not worn or bent. But the concentric springs were all on one side of the tube and on the inside intertwined. The nut and threads were striped but had enough to run a die and put a new nut on. Checked the bearings races and seals, all were in good shape. Retightened the bearings based off of the 101 Shop Manuel. Here are before and after pictures of the wheel and anchor tube. I  measured the center of the drop center rim to the inside of the brake drum and its exactly 1 5/8”, just as the Shop Manuel states on page 20.

Id like to give additional thanks to Randy Walker and Vahan Dinihanian for their advice and encouragement!

Thanks,

4 files
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.