The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Oil Ring on Rear Piston Only?

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 24 Jul 2023 9:09 AM
    Message # 13231413

I'm working on a top-end inspection and refurbishment of a 1928 101 that was last rebuilt by the expert George Hood of Garden Grove, California some time between 2002 and 2005 who stroked it to 55ci (901cc).

The aluminum pistons are cam ground, T-Slotted and 4 ring. The lowermost ring, the oil ring, was installed on the rear piston only. That land was left empty on the front piston.

I'm wondering why an oil ring on the rear piston?

Or from the other perspective, why not an oil ring on the front piston?

Maybe the result of indecision which way to go?

All still is looking fairly tight in there (rings at 50%, valves need lapping, guides now variably 003-004 over - measured for me by my nearby machinist) but as I have new rings for these pistons I may install them to close up the end gaps. Undecided what to do about the oil rings I have - I'd like to cut down on the carbon buildup cleaning chore. Whatever I do I may install intake valve seals.

Bob

• 30 Jul 2023 10:38 AM
    Reply # 13234101 on 13231413

Hey Bob,
    with total loss lubricated motors you don't actually need an oil ring.
    It was installed later in the models that had circulating lubrication and a dry sump.

The rear cylinder tends to get too much oil from below due to the rotation of the crankshaft and the tangential throwing off of the oil and maybe that was his idea to prevent the cylinder from burning too much oil.
    Exactly for that the baffle plates for the rear are double the size than for the front one.

I have often seen that, for example, sport scout pistons were installed and then without an oil ring, but on both pistons.

I haven't seen it on only just one, but I also think it's questionable because the tear-off torque (or ring drag) is then clearly different for the individual pistons.

The idea with the valve stem seals is definitely good. I actually build all engines with shaft seals on the intake valves and over time you notice that less oil is burned and that less carbonized oil crust settles everywhere.

All the best
    Manny

• 31 Jul 2023 5:16 AM
    Reply # 13234358 on 13231413
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Bob, I guess your motor builder was experimenting , and as Manny points out, the rear cylinder gets much more oil than the front. Oil in the twenties was way stickier, thats why the bikes have priming cups, largely to de stick the gummy oil on the rings on cold days. The idea of the baffles is to create a pressure differential to draw an oil mist up the bores to lubricate the top end. I have never had a satisfactory answer as to whether modern oils mist in the same way, but presumeably not, as oil mist is not a a desirable outcome in a modern engine.

Many people leave the oil rings out of total loss motors, that will lead to decoking more frequently than using them. I would think that it is more importnt to get the oiling delivery to the motor right for your style of riding, as recirculating oil sidevalves still have no oil feed to the top end, and so are effectively the same lubrication system there, the main difference being a pressure feed to the big end, and the cooling and settlement of sediment in the oil tank, instead of it silting up the bottom of your motor.

I have seen motors with and without oil rings run well without coking up excessively, and have seen both oil excessively. The aim would be to get the correct oiling without damaging the bores, rings are a service item, it is far prefferable to rering a motor with a light  hone to break the glaze than need a rebore, or hunt for a new set of cylinders. A well bedded in set of rings without the oil control ring is going to be preferable to a badly seated set with an oil ring , I would have thought, so the bedding in process is most important. I have seen two 101 motors with oil rings fitted run up to seven thousand odd miles with no signs of adverse wear, thats as high as I have ever got personally, I have seen plenty with and without oil rings with excessive ring wear in less than a couple of thousand.

As an aside, memories of playing with brit bikes in my twenties, I used to rering Triumphs etc as per manual, breaking the glaze with some abrasive paper packed with newspaper and an up and down rotary motion, as per Triumph manuals. seemed to work fine, as long as there was no excessive scoring of the bores, whereas nowadays the default setting seems to be worn rings, need a rebore, and there goes maybe a decade of life from your cylinders.

• 31 Jul 2023 5:22 AM
    Reply # 13234361 on 13231413

Also, as a matter of interest, how often is your current decoking chore, and is it indeed that much of a chore ? As with rings, but more so, a set of head gaskets is a service item, and 30 odd bucks and an hour or so  of your time is nowhere near as expensive as a new set of currently unobtainable cylinders. It may just be easier to approach it as a meditative process with benefits for you and your motor, I sometimes suspect that old bikes just like a bit of attention, and buying them some roses and taking them out for a nice dinner doesn't seem appropriate.

• 01 Aug 2023 7:33 AM
    Reply # 13235010 on 13231413

I run 2  28 101 Scouts and a 28 Short frame Scout   all 750cc  all 3 have Sport Scout Pistons   with an oil ring only on the Rear Cylinder   but with a 30 thou  gap . All 3 use a small amout of oil  and are used almost every week  with other friends on  our almost weekly  runs  .  I happened to change the cylinder heads on one of  the 101s over the weekend  from ALLY  Modified  38 Sport Scout heads to original Mainly as the compression was  just to high   due to an old Racers   handiwork.  It took a while to get the  pump  to a point where when i returned home  i usually have around 25 to 30ml to drain off  after around 100kms  . Im happy with that situation  ,We genarally sit on around  40 to 45 MPH    Back  to removing the heads  the front had some Carbon  build up   and the back  just a slight amount, The bores were still very clean  and unmarked .  .About every 3rd ride I drain the sumps  and replenish with  fresh oil via the hand pump. As for riding  i have never used the hand pump on a ride  for many years !    Its all a personal choice I think and  getting the balance correct   for oil  usage . 

Regards Phil  

• 02 Aug 2023 4:03 AM
    Reply # 13235435 on 13231413

Thats really good info Phil. Interesting enough for me to want to try it. How often are you doing a decoke ? What rings are you using ???

• 03 Aug 2023 2:01 AM
    Reply # 13235909 on 13235435
    Tim Raindle wrote:

Thats really good info Phil. Interesting enough for me to want to try it. How often are you doing a decoke ? What rings are you using ???

well  I took the heads off  last weekend    after about  10000 km    It was  not real bad  but   noticable    , The heads i had on the bike  were modified Sport Scout   to fit  101 bolt pattern  but had also been shaved    conciderably   with WLA  flywheels  the compression was close to 6.8 to 1     Making the bike a bit of a beast to kick over  But  plenty of power  .  My leg strength   was getting a bit tired   so have gone with standard heads  with relief for the pop up on the pistons 

• 03 Aug 2023 3:14 AM
    Reply # 13235920 on 13231413

is that ten thou, or 1 thousand Phil ? Ten between decokes would be kind of handy.

• 03 Aug 2023 3:48 AM
    Reply # 13235926 on 13231413

Philip , Sorry to change the subject a little , you have WLA flywheels , as mine does , can you tell me what ignition timing you have please , mine runs Indian 101 rods not WLA , also has OHV conversion so suggestions on timing will be appreciated as am having running problems , starts and ticks over great but very erratic on the road ! Maybe as Tim says - 99%of magneto problems are carb orientated ?? have fun , Ken

• 03 Aug 2023 9:53 AM
    Reply # 13236059 on 13231413

Thank you Manny, Tim and Philip for all the good and interesting information.

I can not say how many miles or KM pass before I need to clean out the carbon around the valves but my guess would be 1,000 or once every year - - until, I had this mid season bits of carbon holding up the exhaust valve (casual, short-trip seasonal riding of 6 months) over my now 7 years of ownership and use.

And I can not speak of prior owner's usage since the last rebuild - 5,000 miles may be a reasonable guess. 

My oil pump has always metered the needed amount with little excess to drain.

It may interest you, I attribute my excessive carbon build-up to the following 3 discoveries when I opened up and did inspections & careful instrumental measurements:

1. Worn rings leaving end gaps: 0.09-0.11 in. variably by position in work cylinders.

2. Valve guide wear over or beyond the standard .003 (intake) and .0045 (exhaust): variably and minimally .003-.004. Rear exhaust had the highest wear.

3. Cylinder wear: Bore gauge measurements over the standard bore (2.875 in.) measured on thrust sides

Front Top: .0045

Front Middle: .0070

Front Bottom*: .0010

Rear Top: .0045

Rear Middle: .0068

Rear Bottom: .0005

*Engine was "stroked" and piston skirt descends way below bottom of cylinder, almost touching flywheel.

The cam ground pistons found in there (which match in dimensions and appearances 1940's-1950's Toledo Steel Products) measured closely with NOS same pistons I have except at the largest diameters (the "reference points") located at top of skirt and under rings major and minor thrust sides: .010 over the standard clearance of 0.12.

These old pistons showed wear on the skirts below the reference points  where against the major and minor cylinder thrust sides but little to measure.

For now, I reused the old pistons which now give a minimal clearance of 0.22, installed new NOS McQuay-Norris rings meant for these Toledo pistons and leaving new ring end gaps at slightly worn top and bottom of cylinders (measured installed) of .12 in. (not too far from the minimum of .003 x approx 3 inches of diameter). That's as tight as possible with rings from the box - no trimming. But the gaps will enlarge at the middle of the worn cylinders.

I only stone ground the cylinder walls to seat in the rings. I will hold off boring as long as possible. I have NOS 5 over pistons and rings at hand for the far future.

I reinstalled the old, worn valve guides but replaced and lapped new valves and provided new springs. The old springs were extremely shortened (and thus presumably weakened).

I received new guides which I will install this winter, after my engine machinist reduces the intake ends to 0.5 in to fit seals.

You may be interested to know the engine seems to have a stroke of 3.828 in. (stock: 3.50 in.) with a piston pop-up of .109 in. (not very accurately measured).

The valves had been cut down from diameters of 3.75 in. and the tops were milled to remove metal and lessen their weights, more from the intake valves leaving a depression in each and less from the exhaust leaving them with flat tops.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.