The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Question regarding my 101 Scout in the Export-Version

• 14 May 2021 9:44 AM
    Message # 10502590
    Anonymous

Dear 101 Community,

now that my 101 Scout has run for the first time the restaurateur here in Germany has identified the tank, the toolbox and the chain guard (probably done in the 90s) to be of a wrong tone of red compared to the parts of the motorcycle where much older paint can be found. Additionally the "Indian" logo appears to be wrong. So I was wondering where I could ideally find photos of 1928 Export-Scouts to see original or "perfect" specifications. It´s my ambition to bring it back as close to its original looks and specification as possible. I have absolutely no ambition to make it shine like new, however the newer color tone on the parts listed above is too far off. 

Thank you so much in advance and have a good weekend!

Max

P.S.: if you´re interested in the story of my 101 Scout you can follow me on Instagram. The name is "indian101scout"

• 14 May 2021 9:50 PM
    Reply # 10505306 on 10502590

Max, I looked back at your photos to see your 101, and if you desire to go 100% correct for judging it will take a bit of work I think, and you alone will have to decide if you want to take the time and expense to change things to make it 100% correct.  

I am not an authority by any means, but I think the export models were the same as North American machines with regards to color, graphics, and pinstriping.  I believe your tank decal is 1931, and your chainguard is two piece like the 741 Indian.  The paint shades may be different but you can see that on many old motorcycles when all parts are not painted at the same time, red is a difficult color to match out of the can when some paint is 90 years old!

So if the color is the only thing you want to change then go to a top painter and have them match up the shade with a computer and then paint those parts only.

Looking again at your 101 pictures you have a wonderful bike!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.