The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Period Motorcycle Workbench

• 01 Jan 2022 9:31 AM
    Message # 12230172

Prompted by Mick Lucioni's very useful dimensioned 101 bike stand drawing, it reminded me to post details of a period workbench that I mentioned to Tim Raindle before Christmas so here goes. Dating from @1920 this simple wooden motorcycle workbench is identical to those you see in factory photographs. The image is from 'Early Motorcycles - Construction, Operation and Repair' by Victor W. Page as is the dimensioned (imperial) drawing. I also attach a photo of my own version which I have to say was cheap to build compared modern ones.

• 01 Jan 2022 9:32 AM
    Reply # 12230175 on 12230172

My own version with a repro 101 frame sitting on it!

• 02 Jan 2022 3:20 AM
    Reply # 12231803 on 12230172
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

There is a lovely book called the Motorcyclists Workshop which can be picked up reasonably priced at swap meets which runs thru all the basic procedures for maintaining your motorcycle in the twenties and thirties with hand tools. The first chapter covers the design of a small shed, with layouts for benches, bench heights, ideal location of windows, all the basic tools you need, and a very simple bike stand too. Dimensions of shed are just large enough to fit a motorcycle and sidecar in it. 

Love all that old stuff, full of time appropriate gems of knowledge. One of my favourites is in the is the Sunbeam Manual for 1932, on how to ride your new motorcycle. " Be careful when crossing tram lines, particularly in wet weather, especially if your tyres are worn through to the canvas. " In the back of that manual there is a section on racing, and it mentions that the factory offers sets of performance cams, so that , should you wish to go sporting at the weekend, you can change your  cams out on Friday night, go sporting on Saturday and Sunday, and then put your stock cams back in on Sunday evening for the ride to work during the week.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.