The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Deluxe white metal carb

• 18 Dec 2022 4:31 PM
    Message # 13029306
    Anonymous

Hello membership …I have a white metal Deluxe Carb on my 1934 scout.  It has a metal bracket which seperates the carb bowl and carb body and it also covers the needle/seat opening on the white metal bowl.  It has a lip all round which saddles the bowl …a gasket is fitted on the underside of this lap.  Does this metal bracket, also require a gasket fitted above ?

thanks in advance and may you all have a Merry Xmas and a most Happy and fulfilling New Year, where your faithful 101 steeds, fix and support themselves financially.  

• 19 Dec 2022 2:30 PM
    Reply # 13030187 on 13029306
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Nope.

happy hols to you too Danno.

• 19 Dec 2022 2:32 PM
    Reply # 13030189 on 13029306
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

I have often suspected that the cork gaskets available now are too thick as well, the couple of crusty old carbs I have seen have had a very thin paper gasket on them. Anyone with anymore experience of running this type of like to comment ???

• 28 Dec 2022 4:53 AM
    Reply # 13036967 on 13029306
    Anonymous

Thanks Tim …makes sense.  If the new cork gaskets are too thick, I suspect it would upset the float position, by moving it further away from the carb body …so that it leans it out, as it moves further down, due to thicker gasket.

• 29 Dec 2022 6:52 PM
    Reply # 13038593 on 13029306

hi Danny, the float and needle are fixed to the carb body not to the bowl so i think that the fuel level should be the same with thick or thin gasket. the only interference would be the jet height into the venturi.

• 29 Dec 2022 11:49 PM
    Reply # 13038772 on 13029306

Rather when you lower the bowl with a thick gasket, the height if the gas level is lowered in the carburetor stem (main well interior), further distance from the nozzle tip. I suspect it might make starting harder as the air flow through the venturi must be larger to draw the gas up to the tip of the nozzle, much like lowering the float height. You can ofcourse compensate that thicker gasket by raise the float height the same amount.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year!

Or may I say a better one than the last one that was with lock down and all that..

1 file
    Last modified: 31 Dec 2022 5:58 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 30 Dec 2022 4:00 AM
    Reply # 13038845 on 13029306

Hello Danny , first of all , have you been running this bike with the carb as is ? i.e. without a gasket on top ? if so why are you asking about a gasket ? are you having problems with starting or running ? If have had no problems without a gasket then why fit one , I see no reason to incude a gasket , however thick if you've had no trouble . The Schebler booklets do not list or show a bowl gasket.

Good luck anyway !

Hope you all have a wonderful riding New Year , Ken

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.