The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Removing Pinion and Sprocket Properly

• 22 Jan 2023 1:50 PM
    Message # 13067945
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

I have replaced my rear sprocket and have a NOS chain, now it's time to replace my front sprocket (I was running the parts that came with the bike, they're quite worn, and the front sprocket is sidecar size).  Any suggestions as to how to keep the pinion and sprocket from turning while I remove the nut?  My inclination would be to wedge a piece of wood against the teeth, but I suspect there's a proper tool or technique I'm not aware of.

Thanks,

John

• 23 Jan 2023 3:51 AM
    Reply # 13068621 on 13067945
    Hello John , A piece of wood is always quite handy for many jobs when proper tools are not available and that is one way of doing this job , you could also try putting bike in first gear and applying the rear brake or both if nut is stubborn !! Good luck , Ken
  • 03 Feb 2023 7:19 PM
    Reply # 13084429 on 13067945
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Just in case anybody else has the same question I did - what finally worked for me was a $50 deep-well 1 5/8" socket from Grainger, a friend with a lathe who faced the socket to remove the chamfer, and a block of wood jammed in between the sprocket and the kicker stud.  Then the nut agreed to come off.  Simple!

• 04 Feb 2023 4:25 AM
    Reply # 13084667 on 13067945

Glad it worked out well for you ! I don't know why sockets have that chamfer ? quite often they need skimming in a lathe !?

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.