The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Cylinder and head color

• 01 Mar 2024 11:14 PM
    Message # 13323542

What is a good paint for cylinders and heads? They appear to be cadmium but I am not positive. Any suggestions?

• 02 Mar 2024 8:09 AM
    Reply # 13323597 on 13323542
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Travis, the cylinders and heads on 101s were originally nickel plated. To have them redone well will cost a fair amount of time and money. ( Yours may be sport scout cylinders from a few years later ?) There are nickel type cylinder paints available, I believe Vahan Dinanian sells just such a product. I have never had much success with them , in my limited experience they discolour and rust seems to come thru after a few hundred miles. Maybe my prep.Worth a try.

I usually just use a satin or matt barbecue black on a rider, tbh. Easier to do, easier to touch up and you can coat them with stove black polish with a brush to touch up thin areas.

A good nickel plate finish  looks stunning, but a fading and stained silver paint finish looks horrible, and a good matt black is the second best option, in my opinion.

• 02 Mar 2024 12:06 PM
    Reply # 13323665 on 13323542

Thanks Tim for the info,the picture I posted of the bike are a little old as I don't really take pictures. The engine and trans that are in it in the pic are a 1922 scout that was stroked to 45" and lost a intake valve so I am rebuilding the original engine and trans to go back in it and am trying to make it have a good look to it but doesn't have to look really original because I am using the upgraded oil system and distributor and running a mini alternator and 12v electrical. I love riding the bike so I use the  "essential " upgrades so  it doesn't wear out as fast and keeps a level of reliability. Plus if it keeps together longer I don't have to spend so much trying to repair it as these bikes are getting harder and harder to get parts for and are expensive. Hopefully I'll be back up and running soon.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.