The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Nickel plating on cylinder heads

• 13 Mar 2024 8:39 PM
    Message # 13329234

Does anyone know what the factory did wrt nickel plating on the cylinder heads?  I just took my heads to the plater and asked if he could mask the combustion side of the heads so that they do not get plated.  I was not sure how the nickel plating would stand up to the heat and explosions in the combustion chamber.  The plater said it would be difficult to try and mask the combustion side because of the acid bath it would be subject to.  Any opinions?

• 14 Mar 2024 8:21 AM
    Reply # 13329393 on 13329234

I don't know how the original plating was done, either on heads or cylinders. I would think it would be easy to mask out newly plated tops for abrasive cleaning of any stray plating on the gasket and combustion side.

But I had newly cast 45 inch jugs nickel plated by International Chromium Plating in Providence Rhode Island due to their reputation for having plated a lot of motorcycle cylinders. They said the cylinders would be abrasive blast and plated - that's all - no mention of how areas would be masked and protected. I left it to them to do what they know how to do.

They were returned nicely plated with the bores clearly protected. However, I had some post machining done on the bores. The machinist was pissed because there was a little bit of nickel in a bore he did not see, nor did I, and it clogged his cutting tool. He advised to always get all the final bore work done before plating as it not possible to fully protect the bores. 

Anyhow, I notice a lot of 101's in Europe have black painted cylinders and heads (post original) and I have come to like the look better than nickel. I eventually acquired a 101 that spent its life in Europe and along the way the cylinders and heads were pained black and I really prefer that look to my plated 101 - obviously originality is not that important to me. But black painted heads on plated cylinders I think would not look nice. 

Last modified: 14 Mar 2024 8:26 AM | Robert Lodge
  • 16 Mar 2024 2:21 PM
    Reply # 13330496 on 13329234

Not only some basic export, but the military version also looks very likely to have cost and resource saving black cylinders.

2 files
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.