The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

New Manufacture 101 Scouts

• 13 Apr 2024 6:55 PM
    Message # 13343005
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

I didn't know Indian was making 101 Scouts again.  Think any parts will fit my '29?

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/scout-motorcycles/101-scout/?model=101-scout&option=SCOUT%2520101&trim=sunset-red-metallic-with-graphics

John

• 14 Apr 2024 8:01 AM
    Reply # 13343100 on 13343005
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Anything can fit John, its just a matter of how much :)

I guess searching 101 scout on the internets is about to become somewhat more confusing once the Polaris marketing boys get to work greasing the palms of google etc.

• 14 Apr 2024 8:19 PM
    Reply # 13343284 on 13343005

If I get anywhere near the polaris marketing responsible person I'll kick him in the ass for naming a bike 101 Scout. It's the same with SAAB, I own a SAAB 95 but made in 1963. It is very hard to search anything on the net without beeing diverted to and click down thousands of ads, reportages, pictures and other rubbish about the SAAB 9-5.

Why not call it 102, or 111 or anything else but 101?? idiots. And it's uglier than the previous Scout..

• 15 Apr 2024 9:09 AM
    Reply # 13343424 on 13343005

...not to mention that Indian's intent with the Scout, before and after the 101, was to provide a lighter and smaller displacement alternative to the Chief.  This new Scout misses the mark on both accounts and shouldn't be named Scout if the manufacturer was intending to honor the Springfield company.

Having said that, looks like a nice motorcycle, not my cup of tea but I'd be game to ride one!  But it's not really a Scout.

• 17 Apr 2024 8:37 PM
    Reply # 13344914 on 13343005

My boss has a 2022 Scout bobber that with its lower tank really emphhasize the flowing lines that at least vagely resembles the 101. And it is for me that is light and of the smaller size, just perfect and fantasticly nimble and at the same time stable on the road. And fast. Great fun! Riding position is great, love it, I just miss a small windshield. And a tank gauge. With the 2-to-1 S&S drain tube on, it is loud!  Only fault is the colour, dreadful matte black instead of the very nice red maroon that could be had. The 2024 Scout indeed misses the mark with it's tall Chief style tank, and bland engine design. 

Last modified: 17 Apr 2024 8:50 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 18 Apr 2024 4:49 AM
    Reply # 13344979 on 13343005

I'm suprised that the 'Scouts' manufactured by Polaris got any response from 101 members other than outrght indignation. That said I think we all know that a great deal more  respect and thought could have gone into the design of the new Indians. That hasn't happened so I guess the designers are visually blind! 

• 19 Apr 2024 6:58 AM
    Reply # 13345479 on 13343005
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Well, putting my positive hat on, I do think that the Polaris products are probably the best finished machines available today. Everything from welds to paint look spot on, their attention to detail is second to none, and reports of reliability and customer service are very good. Have I ridden one ? No. Do I have any interest in riding one ? Well, maybe an FTR, but none of the scout or chief series. If I was looking for a modern all round sports tourer that would fit into the category that 101s successfully created, combining comfort and character with an ability to multi task, I think I would be looking at a Moto Guzzi Mandello. 

Polaris 101 ? Not anything I would look at twice, altho one local guy does have a modern scout that he fitted a mid control kit to, that, along with different seat and handlebars did make it look a little more like a normal motorcycle than some weird custom bar hopper, and he says it transformed it, riding in an upright fashion was far more comfortable than the stock set up. I would think that they have their marketing slightly off, and if they knew their history, would have tried a little harder to come up with a completely different line to hang the 101 hat one, not just another version of the same old model, with different fenders, paint job and computer.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.