The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

TWISTGRIP CONTROLS ANW WIRES

• 13 Aug 2014 11:43 AM
    Message # 3072866

I am having problems adjusting my hand controls to get full and accurate movement at the carb/mag ends.  The problem is worst on the ignition side, where twisting the grip goes not fully advance the lever on my Splitdorf model N because of flex in the cable between the cylinder head mounted cable clip and the advance lever.  The ignition wire pushes the lever downwards to advance. I have tried various lever, cable, and clamp positions, and am still not happy with the flex in the cables when pushing.  It has occurred to me that my cables could be the issue if the stiffness of the outer or the inner was not up to standard. 

What should the OD of the cable outer, and the diameter of the inner wire be?

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks.

Stuart

• 15 Aug 2014 8:16 PM
    Reply # 3075684 on 3072866

I strongly suspect the flex is because the spiral is kinked or bent. The piano wires are much much more senitive for damage than bowden wires. Ever so slight kink or sideshift of the spiral, and the wire will jam or get stiff. That's beacuse there is (and has to be) so small play btw. the wire and hole in the spiral. If you can withdraw the piano and feel along it with sensitive fingers, you will feel where the spiral has been kinked. A tip is to fix the spiral first, so you can use the wire as position reference, if you fix the wire first, you soon forget where the exact spiral damage is. Both the wire and spiral needs to be straight (or more likely, a smooth bow.) The spiral is very difficult to fix, but it is doable to an extent, with care. It's much same technique as correcting a spiral spring, if you tried that. On the bike, the length installation has to be so very precise, to not  have it too short or it can stretch and bend, or too long or it will kink at steering lock. Perfect spirals and wire, and the controls are wonderfully smooth and light without much flex at all.

Last modified: 15 Aug 2014 8:43 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 18 Aug 2014 4:41 AM
    Reply # 3076425 on 3072866

Once again, thank you Carl-Erik.

There was an extremely slight kink to both inner and outer, where they had been clamped to the horn in a previous setup.  Once straightened and re-setup, I have full advance and the drag has gone from the system.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.