The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Bushing and bearing clearances

• 14 Jan 2015 7:36 PM
    Message # 3200545
    Deleted user

Working on my motor and transmission and I was wondering how much clearance should I run on bronze bushings and roller bearings? Such areas like the transmission main shaft and timing side Cams, and gears. Crank shaft bearing clearances?

Thanks for the help!

• 15 Jan 2015 1:45 AM
    Reply # 3200714 on 3200545

It's a bit sensitive to recommend bearing play, I leave that to better machinists than me.

• 28 Jan 2015 5:38 AM
    Reply # 3211938 on 3200545
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Dave, sorry not to get back to you sooner. Interesting question. Should be aiming for .001 clearance on the drive,crank  and pinion, thats effectively 0.0005"each roller , eg 1.000 inch crank pin , 2x 0.250 rolls, 0.001 clearance = a big end honed to 1.501 . However , any run out on the pinion and drive will make these clearances create tight spots. It also helps to be aware that housings may not be uniform ( I usually hone new pinion housings before putting them in ) . Also new pins may be (and often are ) a few tenths of a thou oversize, so you need to measure and adjust accordingly..0015 would not be a problem on the mains, some people go a touch more than this, probably to compensate for misaligned flywheels. Racers often run 0.002 -0.0025 clearance on the crankpin, again , thats loose to me , but not destructive. I asked One old sport scout builder what he used for clearances , and he said depends whose running them in !! He would aim for 0.001 on the big end for a road bike if he was running it in, .0015 if it was someone else, and .002 if he thought the bloke was an idiot, and would go full bore from the first ride.

Jorgen Sundberg in Sweden , a top motor builder, recommends 1500 miles as a decent running in period.

Stock clearance for shaft in bronze bushings in timing case 0.0015 "

Hope this helps.

Tim

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.