The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Removal of rear brake drum

• 05 Feb 2015 10:31 PM
    Message # 3218900
    Deleted user

Hi everyone

I'm currently rebuilding the rear wheel of my 28 short frame and I was wondering first if there were any tricks to doing this properly and second, which direction does the brake drum round securing nut go? Clockwise removal or counter clockwise removal 

Thanx

Sreve

• 06 Feb 2015 2:37 AM
    Reply # 3218997 on 3218900

I would guess a little bit of heat would loosen up the nut. Both nuts are threaded ordinary right hand dir. Counter clockwise removal. If you have the R&O you can have a look in the bolt and nut register, the rear wheel sprocket and brake drum locknut has the same part number A 25230. The thread is 2"9/16-20 TPI. Hm, the 20 TPI I am not entirely certain about. If anyone can confirm that I'd be grateful... other locknuts required for the 1931 model wheel.

Last modified: 06 Feb 2015 2:52 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 13 Feb 2015 1:41 AM
    Reply # 3225131 on 3218900

Yas the thread is 20 TPI. I was surprised about that as I thought it was more like 24 TPI but just checked my hub with a thread gauge and 20 is correct.

I took a long while to remove the brake drum on my 101 and soaked it well with WD 40 and also warmed it up with a small diy gas torch. I then tapped it gently with a wooden stick, thin enough to get between the spokes and after a while I could detect a bit of rocking movement. After I knew it was on the move it came off fairly quickly agter that.

I was very careful as I did not know if the hub was cast iron or a maleable forging, so did not want to break it.

When you have the drum off, check the splines as they may well be worn. Mine was bad on both sides, so a new hub was only outcome.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.