The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Seat Springs

• 12 Mar 2015 1:55 PM
    Message # 3250254

Hi,

Can anyone tell me correct order for replacing the seat springs. I need dimensions for the bronze tubes as well as these are missing.

Does this part centralise the smaller spring in the larger one ? How many washers should there be in the assembly ?

The parts on the bike were different from side to side and all looked not to be original parts, so I have nothing to go on. The RO shows all parts laid out, but what I could do with is a sectioned drawing which shows each part from top to bottom.

Mike.

• 13 Mar 2015 11:02 AM
    Reply # 3251298 on 3250254

I use page 41 A in the R&O for the description.

The bronze tube(38) has od 3/4", id 1/2" and upper length to the reduction approx 13/16". The reduced part diam is hard to measure but it goes precise through the spring eye (27). The reduction length is somewhere 7/16" when not riveted. The tube is riveted firmly to the spring eye together with washers (39) both above and under the spring eye. The picture in the R&O should show 4 washers (39).

(39) od is 1.1/8", id same as tube reduction and thickness approx 1/16". The inner spring (37) goes over the bronze tube and is resting on the top washer. Washer (34) is put under the spring on the yoke together with the nuts (33) and only there for wear reduction. Lock nut is imperative. I also use locktite on all threads in the seat assembly.

Springs (27) should be turned in opposite way for the left and right side. On my bike the right side is turned clockwise but I can't say if that is correct. I think there was different grades of springs to buy for heavy riders. A distance under the inner spring can be used, and the saddle plate has 3 holes for tuning the spring rate. 1931 yr. 101 had 2 rubber bumpers mounted on the support plate on the frame.

Seat springs can also be found with a very small eye at the bottom, and they are bolted firmly to the yoke in that version. Those springs are mostly fitted on the Mesinger tandem seat or other version seats that does not have the double springs found in the 101 seat. Such tandem seats can also be found with springs twice the length of the regular 101 spring.

Last modified: 13 Mar 2015 11:09 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 15 Mar 2015 5:01 PM
    Reply # 3253046 on 3250254

Thanks Carl.

I have printed off your reply and will study the RO.

Mike.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.