The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Transmission case bolt

• 06 Apr 2015 11:36 AM
    Message # 3283048

Hi,

I want to replace the large bolt the bolts the gearbox casing to the frame.

According to the parts list, there is a fibre washer used on the bolt. Does this fit between the alloy casing and frame and what thickness should it be ?

I also need correct measurement for the brazed on fork bracket that supports the front brake anchor. What is measurement from fork top to top of bracket.

Should this bracket be square to axle shaft line ? Mine looks to be on a slight angle ,so that it is tilted in towards the wheel.

Mike.

• 07 Apr 2015 6:14 AM
    Reply # 3284948 on 3283048

I have never seen the fiber washer, but what I have seen on many gearboxes is sign that the bolt have been loose and wallowed up the hole and/or cracked the lug on the gearbox. I can only suspect a broken fiber gasket beeing part of the fault there, loosing up the clamping force.

I would personally not use a fiber gasket anywhere in the joint there, only a steel or aluminium washer on top to reduce wear from the bolt head on the gearbox lug and a good lockwasher under. And I always use without exception -spare a few places- LOCKTITE on all threads regardless if I use a lockwasher or locknut!

A tip is to weld a wing on the bolt head that prevent the bolt to spin at tightening and removing, that will spare you from fiddling with two spanners at the same time in that cramped space and awkward position.

The lug hole on the fork for the plunger cylinder has to be square to the front axle line or the risk is that it will bend on the thin cylinder stud when you brake and the fork is bouncing up and down.

That single feeble little cylinder stud is the only thing that prevents from a  destructive, dangerous and possible fatal disaster. Totally underdimensioned in my opinion and a subject to dangerous wear, so a thorough careful inspection and fitting is imperative and as new cylinders are available reproduced, fitting a new one is very high on the list of most desired safety improvements on the bike.

The measure for the fork bracket is not on the fraction as the cylinder and plunger is long, but the measure I have is 190mm (7,5 inch) fork bell crank hole center/bracket hole center.

Last modified: 07 Apr 2015 6:37 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 12 Apr 2015 12:25 PM
    Reply # 3295284 on 3283048

Hi Carl,

Thanks for that, just checked mine and same dimension. At least that part is correct !!

Mike.

• 13 Apr 2015 4:41 PM
    Reply # 3297075 on 3283048

Aha, you where uncertain if your fork was the right model? The measure fork bell crank hole center/bracket hole center is the same for all forks with that kind of brake. But the fork leg length might differ between other models.

My 101 fork, fork bell crank hole center to top of the fork leg incl. the rounded top is thereabout 665mm or 26-1/8th something, measured with an old foldable ruler.
    Last modified: 13 Apr 2015 4:42 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.