The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Changing Handlebars

• 03 Jun 2015 10:26 AM
    Message # 3373368
    Deleted user

I'm going to install the correct set of bars on my bike this weekend.  Any advice or tips from those who have done this project before?

Thanks,

Bart

• 04 Jun 2015 4:52 AM
    Reply # 3374761 on 3373368

Just clean the bar clamps and fork ends from paint and be sure the handebar is torqued properly, the bar is a really important component for the stability of the fork.

A tip is that, after some use, if you can spot some miscolouring of rust dust at the clamps, the fork is moving and the handlebar at least needs torquing!!  Headlight stalks is made of fairly soft iron and the threads can give quite easily.

The rust can be visible as a thin line of usually red but can also be black. Same kind of rust dust can be seen between the fork spring leafs.

In that case the best thing is to demount the bar to check the wear, headlight stalk threads, and clean up.

Last modified: 04 Jun 2015 4:56 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 04 Jun 2015 10:58 AM
    Reply # 3375045 on 3373368
    Deleted user

where can i find the torque specs?

• 05 Jun 2015 3:49 AM
    Reply # 3376078 on 3373368

There's just a few critical specs, mostly inside the engine you will find for Indian motorcycles, after that it is just go by guidelines. It is mostly in the arms of an experienced mechanic. Tables can be found for example in the

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

Last modified: 05 Jun 2015 4:04 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 05 Jun 2015 10:10 AM
    Reply # 3376334 on 3373368
    Deleted user

As always,  I can't thank you enough for your help Carl.

Best,

Bart

• 06 Jun 2015 8:47 AM
    Reply # 3377372 on 3373368
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Bart , Setting up the control cables is important too. You want them as tight as possible. Its easier to thread the outer cable thru the bars if you push  an inner thru from the fork end and use this as a guide for the outer . 

To secure the stop on the bar end for the outer, I put the cable in a vice , place the stop over it and use a pair of side cutters to widen out one turn of coil, then drop the cable up to the stop in the jaws of the vice and flatten the coil against it with a small tap or two. This should give a tight stop, so that you can then pull strongly on the cable from the handlebar end to tighten up the small clips that hold the tension against the bar, and this takes some slop out of the action.

If you are using old , kinked inners, they can be straightend by putting one end in a vice, and pulling tight with a pair of vice grips. Having someone running a piece of wood over the kinked area under tension should straighten them out nicely. 

White grease also seems to work well on the cable and twist grip, I use LOTS of it on the spiral area.

• 08 Jun 2015 11:46 AM
    Reply # 3379230 on 3373368
    Deleted user

Tim,  Thanks for this.  I ran into a difficulty fitting the bars over the head nut.  The nut width is 2.5, but with my micrometers, the base of my new bars is too narrow by about .125 so i'm going to have them reamed a bit to get the fit correct.  hopefully, i'll be ready to thread cables by this afternoon. 

Thanks again for the tips.  good to ask those who have gone before me!

Best,

Bart 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.