The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 tires

• 14 Nov 2015 7:47 AM
    Message # 3633200
    Deleted user

What is a good tire / source for the 101 bikes. I was looking at Coker and they offer an 18" clincher tire. will clincher tires work on the drop center rims?

Thanks to all!

• 15 Nov 2015 7:56 AM
    Reply # 3634295 on 3633200
    The difference is how the tire is centered on the rim and the both types doesn't interchange.
    Clincher has the tire centered with the tire bead hooking into a groove or slot at the rim edge, and the inner tube air pressure is keeping the tire body into that hooking slot. In the case of a puncture or just too low air pressure, the tire looses that slot grip and the tire have lost the ability to hold on. So the tire is coming off the rim suddenly and many times tangles up and locks the wheel solid. The catastrophic behaviour the tire has at a puncture is the reason that I don't recommend riding a motorcycle with clincher tires. Bicycle tires are mostly clincher or a sort of in-between type. An advantage of this system is that the inner tube can be easily accessed with simple, or no tools in the case of a leak to be patched or replaced.

A common rim has a well, ledge and a flat side wall. The tire is centered by the inner diameter of the tire bead, so the tire bead and rim ledge needs to have an exact matching diameter. The tube air pressure is like the clincher pushing the tire body outwards against the wall, but at a puncture, the tire is still kept centered on the ledge and the bead is still having a bit of friction against it, so the rider may have a chance to feel the tire loosing air pressure. But if the tire should migrate into the rim well, the same is happening as with a clincher tire, it can come off the rim and lock the wheel. It happend to a woman rider coming from the Finnish Int. Indian rally in 2008 with near fatal consequenses. The type is in my opinion still regarded as a safer choice.

Beadlocks: There is several different mechanical devices invented to lock the tire securely to the rim  both for clinchers and common bead tires.
    Last modified: 15 Nov 2015 8:10 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 15 Nov 2015 9:05 AM
    Reply # 3634328 on 3633200
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Dave, clincher tyres, fine if you have no other rims, need to be kept over 45 psi tho. Only one I know available currently for the 101 18" clincher rim is the coker. These look nice , but are very expensive, and IMHO, not at all good in wet weather.If you have drop centre rims, there are a multitude of tyres available. I like Dunlop K70s, as they look good and perform well, wearing slowly and good in both rain and dry. Jeff Alperin wears a pair of modern Metzelers , these perform very nicely indeed, but do look like a modern tyre. Jeff rides hard and often, in all weathers, and has a mind that searches out these things. 

Jeffy, what specific Metzelers do you use ?

• 15 Jul 2020 11:32 AM
    Reply # 9104017 on 3633200
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

The R&O Manual does not specify, so I have to ask.  Same size tires (4.00 x 18) on both the front and rear of my '29 101?  The tires I removed were not the same size so I can't use them as an example.

Looking at the Dunlop K70's based on this thread.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

John

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.