The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Instrument panel

• 23 Dec 2015 3:12 AM
    Message # 3715509

Hi,

I am wiring the instrument panel and would like to know if anyone can post  a good closeup photo of the underside, showing the layout, if possible, as original.

Was the wiring loom clipped to the panel to save any strain on the terminals ?

Mike.

• 11 Jan 2016 2:54 AM
    Reply # 3751543 on 3715509

Have none of you guys out there got a camera ??

Mike

• 12 Jan 2016 1:41 AM
    Reply # 3753372 on 3715509

In the Yahoo group there is a photo album "Wire harness, parts of original harness" with some examples where it is obvious that it is not an easy question you are asking! It shows what the original harness usually looks like after 80 some years! Only the photos of the harness is mine, other photos is sampled from various sources so they are not taken from all angles needed.

Last modified: 12 Jan 2016 1:45 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 13 Jan 2016 3:00 AM
    Reply # 3755807 on 3715509

Note that the number of turns of the wire at the ampere meter needs to be tested. Measure with a reliable amp meter to compare, first with small draw like with the light, and with a large draw like adding the horn. The largest disparity btw. one or two turns is likely to show at small amperages.

And the direction of the loops may be turned in order to shift the direction the needle is pointing. The tightness of the loops or thickness of the isolation on the wires has nothing to do with the magnetic force the wires is making. The difference is in the meter.

The meter pointer is of silver and thin as a hair, so it gets damaged by just thinking about it! and the needle pivot points can/will rust. Nothing that a proper watch maker can't fix easily. But the main problem is that the U shaped wafer thin magnet at the bottom of the cup does rust and that makes it expand and break in time. The isolation under the magnet is of wax paper but it also swell in water and in time. The bottom nuts can easily be overtightened. All that contribute to the magnet breaks in pieces.

The meter is basicly simple but contains of a few presicion parts that has to work. Water is the main enemy. If anyone has a source for the thin magnet, I am interested to buy.

• 23 Jan 2016 4:07 AM
    Reply # 3776609 on 3715509

Hi Carl,

Many thanks for the in-depth reply. I have a new repro ammeter that does not need the two turns underneath, so less to worry about !!

Re. wiring, I use the Hellerman stretch on rubber/neoprene sleeves on all terminals, as they make for a neat job and don't use the Ampliversal crimp terminals with the red,blue or yellow sleeves as they instantly look too modern. However if they are also covered with the above sleeves, they don't look so bad.

Mike

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.