The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Looking for a pair of 45" 101 flywheels

• 04 Jan 2016 6:27 PM
    Message # 3739447
    We are rebuilding a 45" 101 motor and in need of a good set of flywheels. I've contacted Walker Machine and a few other sources but no one seems to have them.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

• 04 Jan 2016 8:51 PM
    Reply # 3739556 on 3739447
    Deleted user

Try Truett & Osborn 316-682-4781. I have 3 sets of originals and they all have cracks in them. I gave up and bought a set from these guys and they worked great.

Good luck

• 05 Jan 2016 12:51 AM
    Reply # 3740014 on 3739447
    Anonymous

I was also in need of 45" flywheels and went with T&O's flywheels. I haven't assembled them yet but they do look nicely finished. I believe Greg Hutchinson (see advert in WOW's) also has a limited stock of 45" repo flywheels (non-webbed).

• 05 Jan 2016 6:11 AM
    Reply # 3740417 on 3739447
    Deleted user

I learned one lesson in restoring Indians, If you find a part you better by it. There is no guarantee you will find another one or if someone is reproducing parts that they will continue production. I decided not to buy an original 101 fender 2 years ago for $700 and I have not had the opportunity to find another! Shame on me.

Happy new year

• 05 Jan 2016 8:09 AM
    Reply # 3740496 on 3739447
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Chris, call Truett and Osborn, ask for Paul or CJ. Tell them you want a set of the 101 flywheels with the taper depth adjusted as per conversation with Tim and George in Connecticut. They gave us an extra few thou to stop the assembly making up too wide. Best available, go together spot on every time.

Tim

• 05 Jan 2016 12:50 PM
    Reply # 3740926 on 3739447

Thanks everyone!  Truett & Osborn had them in-stock.  I just ordered a pair!

• 06 Jan 2016 2:55 AM
    Reply # 3742114 on 3739447

Hey Tim, please explain the extra thou. What and where?

• 06 Jan 2016 7:30 AM
    Reply # 3742642 on 3739447

Hi Carl-Erik.

Sport scout flywheels ( as Harley 45) are not mirror images, the taper to face on the left wheel is slightly offset with regards to the crankpin and drive pin faces. T&o sets of two rhs wheels for 101s were set up so that the this was taken into account for the left wheel, Paul sent me a drawing explaining this. We found that the wheels were making up 20-30 thou too wide for some of the crank pins available, so they adjusted them a little so the outer thrust washer faces were more acceptable. Some crankpins still make up a touch wide, sometimes we need to surface grind thrusts down to .030 " externally, using as much as 070 -80 thrusts around the conrods. This leads to an acumulated error on the drive pin too, sometimes leaving the gear too far to the left. We are finding a variation of approx 030-040 " make up in some readily available crankpins over originals. Hope this explains it, if not , will try again after another morning coffee :)

Just for more info, the original open webbed flywheels weigh 8.5 lbs each, the solid sport scout ones 10lbs each. This leads to more torque but a slower revving motor with the solid wheels. Open webbed wheels run smoother, spin up quicker, but need more use of the gearshift when climbing steep hills. Keep meaning to try turning down the outer face of the new ones to see how they go. With a standard static factory balance, I have found that the open webbed flywheels have a sweet spot for touring at around 55 miles per hour, the heavier wheels seem to like to sit at around 48 mph for smooth revs in top gear. Again, would be interesting to play around with balance factors, but time and money etc etc ...

• 07 Jan 2016 3:08 AM
    Reply # 3744829 on 3739447

Hm..this is complicated but interesting. I haven't thought about this. I have 4 disassembled sets of flywheels on the bench. Webbed 37ci (7,7kg for the 2 plain flywheels) and 45 ci (7,7Kg) and SS non Z (8,5kg) and a set of Z SS (9,1kg) wheels. they all look slightly different visually at the relation btw. nut surface and thrust washer recess. The 45 webbed and non Z wheels looks all quite similar to each other in that regard, but the webbed 37 and Z wheels have a larger difference in surface planes! But of course there is more to it when adding taper depth. Right now I can't measure them up with the tools I have available.

I find the sweet spot difference interesting. What I have learned about balancing is that the the total flywheel weight has no significance for balance factor, but there might be other factors that could contribute to the need of a different factor with added weight.

Last modified: 07 Jan 2016 3:55 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 07 Jan 2016 7:54 AM
    Reply # 3745280 on 3739447

Carl- Erik, Paul Osborn sent me a diagram explaining difference in left and right wheels, and we just asked if they could give us a little more depth on the tapers for the crank pin, and sent him a pair of old cracked web wheels.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.