The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Bosch DVAR magneto

• 15 Jul 2016 10:59 PM
    Message # 4135673
    Deleted user

Has anyone here timed a European model Bosch DVAR magneto and can help me. I know the splidorf uses the hole in the shaft for timing Not the keyway. The Bosch has a keyway and an elongated slot should I use the slot? Also the advance/retard is spring loaded and snaps back would this be to the advance position? Any help or pointers to documentation would be appreciated.

• 16 Jul 2016 4:33 AM
    Reply # 4135793 on 4135673

Yes, use the elongated slot. A piece of a drill bit with the right size is what I use as key. And the max advance should be used when timing, if the lever is at right, the lever should be as far up as possible. It is better to remove the spring as you need to be sure the (interrupter)ring is pushed firmly against the housing when checking breaker gap (0,4mm .015-.016") and timing because the slightest play will alter the breaker gap and of course the timing point. The spark plug gap should be 0,4-0,6mm. (.015"-.023") 0,5mm is good.

Originally of course the gear marks should line up, but as the magneto gear could have been changed, the mark may be off by one or several cogs!  Set all gears according to the marks but leave the magneto gear loose on the shaft, free to spin (or remove it) Then turn the engine and set the rear piston where you want it to ignite (I recommend not more than 8-9mm 5/16") turn the magneto (the ring fully advanced) to where the cam* just breaks the points and try to see if the magneto gear key corresponds with the gear. If that doesn't line up, you need to reposition the gear to where the key can be inserted.

*Right now I can't remember if it is the short or long cam that breaks for the rear cylinder. The front hot wire is going to the rear cylinder. But when all is OK and the mag gear is cogged right, if you turn the engine back so the (other) gear markings line up, the breaker sliding block should point at the lower right cover bolt on the magneto, and rest in the short window between cams in the ring.

Fine tuning can be made at the controlwire sheath clamp when the handle is at full stop or unfasten the ring band clamp for the lever, and turn the ring. Or a small adjustment of the breaker gap. If the ring hits the stop before you achieve the timing you want, then you need to reposition the driver gear to another cog. Check timing on the front cylinder also, worn interrupter ring can alter the timing between cylinders a lot.

I use to adjust the wire so max advance is at the handlebar end stop, to avoid excessive strain on the ring stop. The handlebar range can be too short for comfort with a too short ring lever, the ring lever can be made longer if you want more range at the handlebar handle. I don't really find a need for a return spring with the piano control wire, it is only needed with a flexible bowden wire.

The flat spring that pushes on the cap is important, it has to keep the ring pressed against the housing. With the cap on, be sure the ring moves smooth without any play or gap especially at the end positions.

There was an excellent site about the D-type mag, on a site for BMW military motorcycles, but that is gone now. I sampled all sides from it but somehow the owner got into my computer and deleted it all! Only pictures remained. If anyone has those with the description text I'd be thankful if shared!

For the 600cc (37ci) engine the factory max advance recommendation is 5,5mm (7/32"). With the D-type magneto timing range, that makes the max retard timing to maybe 5-6mm after top dead center so you might want to restrict the ring range a bit. Max retard should be zero or maybe some mm after dead center at the most, or engine damage can occure after long time running on max retard. Really with that small max advance as only 5,5mm on the 37ci engines, you don't need the adjustment at all, the magneto can be locked on fully advance at all times.

Last modified: 17 Jul 2016 10:51 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 18 Jul 2016 3:32 PM
    Reply # 4138595 on 4135673
    Deleted user
    Thanks Carl

I tried a dry run by setting the mag to just firing the rear cylinder then put it on the bike and loosely fit the gear with all the notches in the correct place and then turned the engine to close to TDC on the rear cylinder and the slots did indeed line up. I could not fit the mag properly because the spacer to make the mag the correct distance is too large I am going to need to take it and get it milled thinner. It is high enough to not be able to get the gear through the hole in the case. Sniffing around on the internet it seems that the Bosche DVAR from base to center of gear is 38mm the distance for a 101 should be 44.6mm. My mag re-builder guy made a spacer with a 7mm thick piece of steel the actual spacer should be 6.6mm so it needs to be machined down a little bit.

• 19 Jul 2016 1:50 AM
    Reply # 4139208 on 4135673
    Depends on if your mag can be rocked in the bolt holes enough to fine trim the gear play, you might need make it thinner and shim it up. I use aluminium and brass sheets of different thickness to shim the mag up or down to the right height.

I've read or heard somewhere that unmagnetic materials should be used under the magneto!! I am quite certain but I did a double check in Dr Falco's excellent series of articles in Classic Harley tech: "Restoring a rotating armature magneto", I couldn't find a solid statement about that there, but the pictures shows that he is using aluminium in his jigs to prop up the magneto in his various testing apparatus.
    Last modified: 19 Jul 2016 2:48 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.