The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

What major differences are there between 1926 Scout wiht short frame and 1928 101 ??

• 13 Sep 2016 12:43 PM
    Message # 4247629
    Deleted user

What are the differences between 1926 Scout 37ci with short frame and a 1928 101 Scout ????

I have posted a 1926 here in the wanted / for sale  I feel the 26 scout was just a 101 in the making -- could be wrong -- please educate - us less knowing thanks  Greg 

• 14 Sep 2016 12:55 AM
    Reply # 4248684 on 4247629
    Anonymous

Hey Greg,

I'd be happy to answer that for you.  I was in the same spot two years ago when looking at an early '28.  First off the 101 ran from mid '28 to '31.  The first noticeable difference is the length of frame. Non 101's are shorter. The second is the front brake. Prior to the 101 the front brake is absent, as is the brake lever on the handlebars.  It looks like a bicycle wheel. The caveat is that the bikes are so old some may have modified/added a front brake or cut the frame(as in the case of the first bike i looked at.) It had a correct frame that was shortened, an added front non original brake, and a police motor that bolted through the frame.  There is a stamped number on the case that you can reference to check if it falls in the 101 range. The frame numbers do not necessarily match to a motor number on the early models. Also, early '20s have different shaped gas tanks.

That being said, there are also differences within 101's.  The later models had cool indian head horns, a cross across the handlebars, 3 as opposed to 4 knobs on the gas tank and drop center rims.

To make it even more confusing (or clear) the non US models had a front kick stand, larger headlight and a different schebler carb number.

'28s had clincher wheels (flat and square looking)

There are other things, but this should point you in the right direction.  All of the early indians are really cool.  

Good Luck!

Last modified: 14 Sep 2016 1:00 AM | Anonymous
  • 14 Sep 2016 8:11 AM
    Reply # 4249134 on 4247629
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Greg, the earlier scout was definately a development bike for the 101. However, there are very few items on the chassis that are similar or compatible, and the engine mounts are totally different. The early scouts had engine mounts cast into the side of the crankcases, and bolted down thru lugs on the frame . WHen Indian brought out the 45 cube scout in 1927, they found that the extra power broke these lugs, so they developed a crankcase with extensions for a thru bolt engine mount at the front. This was used with a new " short " frame in early 28, which had similar frame geometry and lugs to the 1927 machines, but new mounting lugs at the bottom of the frnt downtubes. Then in march 1928 the frame itself was completely redesigned for the 101 scout. 

There is a very good article on different scout models on Jim Parkers website also linked here I believe. ( If not it should be , can you check Ashley ? )

http://www.parkerindian.com.au/Short%20Frame%20Scouts%20Down%20Under.pdf

The 101 was the final and best form of Charles Franklin scout design, but would not have happened without the 9 years of continuous developement before it. 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.