The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Oiler Test Plug

• 09 Feb 2017 10:39 PM
    Message # 4601777

On page 35 of the Shop Manual shows a test plug to check the output of the oil pump. Where can you get one of these? Where does it screw into the pump to operate?  Any other particulars about it's use, just want to double check the oil pump output by counting the drops out of this plug. Secondly I'm 6'3" and would like to move my seat back. The standard front strap is adjusted all the way back. Is there a longer front seat connection strap manufactured. What do you taller riders do to help your fit on the 101? 

Thanks,

• 07 Jul 2022 9:59 AM
    Reply # 12841021 on 4601777
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

I have the same question about the oiler test plug.  I have one, but want to be sure I'm screwing it into the right hole.  Where does it go?

Thanks,
    John

• 10 Jul 2022 9:39 PM
    Reply # 12844163 on 4601777

Nick moss in UK made a bunch of these. Reach him at Nick_Moss@ripmax.com  It mounts instead of the plug screw at the bottom, that screw has a thin washer of pure lead to seal in its special concave seat. Be sure to use (weak or medium) locktite when mounting the screw again.

The plug delete the transfer hole into the cam chest and the oil drops that the pump delivers go out of the check hole instead. With enough oil in the crankcase, the engine can run for at least 10-15 minutes on the stand without replenish by the pump, so there is no hurry to get the oil pump setting right.

The oil tester plug sets the initial setting for the pump for the first start of the engine when everything is unknown. With modern piston rings, the factory recommended amount of drops per minute is a bit too much. Oil level in the crankcase should be regulary checked, and oil pump setting adjusted accordingly until you get familiar with your engine's oil consumption.

Filling the crankcase with oil for the first time is best done in through the camchest, at least an amount of it, via the hole that the oil pump puts oil through or crankcase ventilation hole for those that have that on the cover. That way the cams and bushings get plenty of initial lubrication. 

1 file
    Last modified: 10 Jul 2022 10:57 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 10 Jul 2022 10:39 PM
    Reply # 12844190 on 4601777

Taller riders prefer to sit higher, so lenghtening the seat yoke legs and fabricate a new longer seat tounge is the way to go, I think.

There is a version of  tall riser handlebars that Indian might have sold that suits taller riders, and I may say even for shorter riders like me, very comfortable up to maybe 50mph. Seen on European bikes mostly, I think the handlebars where sold from the factory, but am not certain if they where not re-bent from standard handlebars by the importer. Very good handlebars for sidecar hauling as they give more room for the thighs when turning.

6 files
    Last modified: 11 Jul 2022 11:06 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 11 Jul 2022 8:15 AM
    Reply # 12844407 on 4601777
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Thanks again, Carl-Erik.  Very helpful as always.

John

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.