The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

fork or rocker issue?

• 20 Feb 2017 8:23 AM
    Message # 4618947
    Anonymous

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some help with my 1931 101 restoration. The bike came to me in boxes of unidentified bits however it had been painted and forks fitted to the frame. When examining the rockers I noticed that the ends of the fork bell crank side studs had been sawn off just behind the hole where the split pin goes. I fitted the wheel and it looks as if this has been done because of a clearance issue. This rang some warning bells but I hoped possibly the side studs were from another model and the correct studs would resolve the issue. I ordered two new ones from Walker machine however it turned out that the diameter of the stud was different to that which was in place and thus did not fit through the rocker. Obviously something is wrong, I hope it is just the rocker but fear it may be the forks also. I measured the forks and these are about 26" in length with a distance of 7 3/8" between the inside of the forks. Also the length of the side stud seems to be the same on both new and old studs.

So are the rocker wrong or the forks also?

Thanks

Graham 

Last modified: 20 Feb 2017 1:46 PM | Anonymous
  • 21 Feb 2017 10:47 AM
    Reply # 4621219 on 4618947

Hi Graham,

Total length of forks from the top of the thread where the large nuts fits to the center line of the bottom hole is 26.5" .

Width is 7.250"

However  I increased the width slightly on my bike due to clearance problems.

Make sure rockers are fitted correctly, its easy to put them on wrong.

If you need any photos or more measurements, send me your email and I will respond.

How far is the brake anchor pin from the bottom hole ?

Mike.

• 22 Feb 2017 12:48 PM
    Reply # 4626368 on 4618947
    Anonymous

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Using your measurements I checked my forks and they seem to be the correct length, the gap, on closer measurement, is about 7 5/16"s so sounds about right (?).

I measured he distance between the bottom of the boss of the brake anchor pin to the to of the hole at the bottom of the forks at roughly 6 3/4" - does that sound right?

I have checked pictures where I can and the rockers seem to be on the right way but as the rocker studs from Walker machine don't fit I am thinking the rockers must be the wrong ones.- is this possible, i.e. do rockers from other years fit?

Comparison of the rocker studs one shows that on the new one, the machined shoulder with the flats on it is about 1/16" shorter which may resolve the clearance issue as it would move the side stud outwards by 1/16" on each side.

I am thinking that I could get the new side studs machined down to fit the existing rockers although I would rather get things correct so do you know if anyone  is reproducing the rockers?

Finally if you don't mind sending me a photo of your rockers in situ I can at least confirm mine are on the right way. My email address is

gkweaver@btinternet.com

You said you increased the clearance on your bike, how did you achieve that?

If anyone else is reading this and has a pair of rockers for sale then please let me know.

Graham

• 22 Feb 2017 3:06 PM
    Reply # 4626863 on 4618947

I doubt there is other versions of rockers for the Chief or Scout, but you never know. The pivot bushing in the 101 rocker is Outer Diameter 19,1mm and Inner Diameter 16mm and length 25,2mm. The spring stay hole has a bushing just the same but 15,9mm long. 

The rocker length between centers of the spring stay hole and pivot shaft hole is 54,8mm on a used one with some wear in the bushings, and the C/C distance between pivot hole and wheel axle hole is  approx. 46,4mm. All measured with a sliding caliper.

Is it possible that only your pivot bushings are custom made?

Last modified: 22 Feb 2017 3:15 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 22 Feb 2017 3:23 PM
    Reply # 4626934 on 4618947
    Anonymous

Hi Carl-Eric, yes that occurred to me this evening also The rockers are back on the bike at present but I will get them  off at the weekend and have a look.

Graham 

• 26 Feb 2017 12:16 PM
    Reply # 4636034 on 4618947
    Anonymous

Thanks to Mike and Carl-Eric and the measurements they posted I am fairly sure forks and rockers are original and it looks like original side studs were turned down and the rockers bushed to fit them.  

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.