The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Grip spirals?

• 25 Sep 2017 11:28 AM
    Message # 5278394

Hey guys. 

Sorry to keep hitting you with questions but I just can’t seem to wait for my R&O manual. :)

I think my bike has the wrong spiral on one side. But it looks like some of the info I find online is contradicting itself. According to Walker machine web sight the spirals should be both left spiral and the right spiral is only for conversion. Acording to a handlebar diagram I saw in a wow issue it looks like a right spiral to me. My bike has one right and one left. Now if I am correct that the original setup is the right grip for advance needs to push the wire when twisted toward you and the left grip needs to pull when twisted towards you. I would think that both need to be right twist spirals to make that happen. 

Am I correct in this thinking?  

Thanks

Daniel 

• 25 Sep 2017 12:15 PM
    Reply # 5278492 on 5278394
    Deleted user

Do you have a Splitdorf or Bosch mag?  My 28 has a Bosch ZEV and wire needs to pull to advance.  

• 25 Sep 2017 4:32 PM
    Reply # 5278920 on 5278394

I have the Splitdorf ns mag. With the arm to the rear it needs to go down to advance. So the points rotate clockwise to advance. So if the spark advance is on the right grip it has to push the cable as you rotate the grip towards you that means a right hand spiral. 

• 25 Sep 2017 11:42 PM
    Reply # 5279419 on 5278394
    Deleted user

That seems correct to me.

• 27 Sep 2017 9:18 AM
    Reply # 5282338 on 5278394
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Daniel, not sorry about the questions, thats what the club and website exist for, you are welcome.

The guys are correct, the wire pulls for the throttle when on the left hand bar, and pushes for advance with a Splitdorf with advance lever to the rear of the bike. The same spiral is used for both sides. It IS traditionally called a left hand spiral, guess it depends which end you are looking at as to which way it spirals.The right hand spirals are for guys who want to set a 101 up like a Harley, gas on the right, advance on the left.

Greers and Walkers both offer good sleeves, you may find that the flange at the end is too thick tho by  a few thou, and will lock up when the sleeve stop nut is tightened, I have increasingly had to turn a few thou off to get a good fit. There is also a shim kit available if there is too much end play.

I recommend using new controls and cables at least on the throttle side, as there are numerous ways to ruin the throttle action, worn,loose spirals/pins burrs in the bar slot, kinked cable etc. Advance retards almost handy to be a little sticky, but any slop in the throttle side means you will lose full opening of the carb butterfly, and having to move the throttle 1/4 turn to get any action is really annoying.

cheers,

Tim

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.