The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 Starts ok then starts back firing and quits after 2 minutes

• 26 Nov 2017 6:39 PM
    Message # 5602056

Hi Folks,  Im new to this site and my 1929 Indian 101 scout. Its a sweet bike but i can't get it to run.  When its cold i can get it to start and it sounds good but then after 1-2 minutes it starts running on 1 cylinder and backfiring. Im new to this older vintage stuff so it certainly could be something that i don't know about. I much appreciate anyone help.  Mike

• 27 Nov 2017 8:44 AM
    Reply # 5602681 on 5602056
    Anonymous
    Michael Butts wrote:

Hi Folks,  Im new to this site and my 1929 Indian 101 scout. Its a sweet bike but i can't get it to run.  When its cold i can get it to start and it sounds good but then after 1-2 minutes it starts running on 1 cylinder and backfiring. Im new to this older vintage stuff so it certainly could be something that i don't know about. I much appreciate anyone help.  Mike

condenser.

EL-1400

T5965W

Splitdorf Replacement condenser (new capacitor style )

• 28 Nov 2017 9:31 AM
    Reply # 5604302 on 5602056
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Could well be the condensor in the mag, they usually take a little longer to warm up and fail tho when they start to go. Check it out, if it is an original one replace it. You can wire a new condensor temporarily in position outside the mag, it just needs to be wired into the feed and earthed.  See if it makes a difference before pulling the mag and stripping it down. New condensors are cheap, Marks Magneto will sell you a couple for a few bucks each.

Also check your manifold seals. Does the bike run on choke well but not idle down on run ? Spraying a little wd40 or cold start around the join will tell you if it is sealed well, as if it changes the running, you have an issue there.

Let us know what you try, and what you find out. 

• 30 Nov 2017 4:46 AM
    Reply # 5607163 on 5602056

Tim is right, a pressure test of the manifold should always be conducted. And a change of condenser is easy to make if you are running a Splitdorf magneto. I would guess the ignition coil is giving out. If you can connect a strobe light on the ign.wire and check which one, or if it is both cylinders that is missing. Some batches of 18mm plugs has been found beeing of unequal and poor quality, so a change of brand can be an idea. A too small points gap can also make problems. 

Hm...backfiring, didn't think of that.. condenser...ign.wire cross fire...crack or current leak in the distributor cover or rotor...something loose, chafed points wire or shortage at the spring...too small valve lash clearence...sticking valve...burnt valve or seat...manifold leak...gas flow obstruction..

Last modified: 30 Nov 2017 6:55 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 08 Jan 2018 8:05 PM
    Reply # 5668187 on 5602056

backfiring through carb or exhaust?  can you tell which exhaust is cooler to know which cylinder you are losing? could you have a valve clearance issue and keeping a valve open when warming up? i have had perfectly good looking plugs give me trouble.  nice to hear about bikes as it was -10 f outside.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.