The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Bosch Magneto ZEV 42

• 12 Jan 2018 9:13 PM
    Message # 5680963
    Anonymous

Hi Guys/Gals From Dennis In New York.

Since I realize that Splitdorf NS Magnetos are scarce and Expensive to find and Repair I always look on Ebay For a Spare, Last Month I found a Very Nice Complete Bosch 42 Degree Magneto that The Owner stated  was off a running 101. I won the Auction at around $500.00  (U.S.)   I was advised by the seller that it was a Installed item on export scouts. It appears to be the same symmetrically as the Splitdorf . I hope that I did well getting this Bosch. Is that Correct , that Bosch ZEV 42 Degree Mags. were on Exports ?Any Input from Fellow Members would be great. Thanks in Advance.

Dennis 

Last modified: 12 Jan 2018 9:28 PM | Anonymous
  • 13 Jan 2018 8:10 AM
    Reply # 5681239 on 5680963
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Danny, as far as I know, zev mags were not fitted to 101s generally, as most export models to Europe were fitted with Bosch Dvar magdynos. However, as a 42 degree mag it is highly likely to have come off an Indian, possibly Hedstrom, power plus or pre 1922 scout, or possibly fitted by someone as a replacement. It will fit, will work fine, and is an excellent magneto, particularly if you have a good one for only 500 bucks.

How is the rest of your bike ? Would you be interested in doing a short story on it for the next wow mag? Anything else we can help you with ? 

cheers,

Tim

• 13 Jan 2018 9:04 AM
    Reply # 5681255 on 5680963
    Anonymous

Yes I would Love to Share the Story of how I found My '29. Its a great story, It was in a family for 40 plus years. It was locally advertised in a Buffalo Ny Craigslist ad.An 86 year fellow had owned it for all those years. He had a huge response to the ad , I was relentless in trying to get it. Emailed three times a day,So being somewhere to the bottom of the pack, I'll tell you ( In the Article) how I got to the top and the first guy to see it. Great story to come soon. Thank you for the feedback I also have a Bone stock 46 Chief, This 101 is a very Nice riding bike, I love the Chief for the Look, But the 101 is a More Pleasurable ride over the chief. More to come......

Dennis

Last modified: 13 Jan 2018 9:08 AM | Anonymous
  • 14 Jan 2018 7:15 AM
    Reply # 5682104 on 5680963
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Sounds like a great story on the way. I love to hear how bikes find new owners. Serendipity :)

Chief are great bikes, 101s are simply one of the most complete all round motorcycles ever built. 

If you can, send a pdf with pics to my email, and Doug Strange too, that way we get it backed up, and in the next magazine. We should be starting to put the spring issue together in about 6 weeks. 

cheers,

Tim R

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.