The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Gearbox Mainshaft Endfloat

• 28 Sep 2018 9:31 AM
    Message # 6696921

Hello,

I’m rebuilding my gearbox and have assembled it to measure for the thrust collar thickness on the main shaft. 

Part number S-2255 or S-2259

What endfloat / clearance should I be aiming for please?

Cheers

Jon

Last modified: 28 Sep 2018 9:33 AM | Jon Gillman
  • 28 Sep 2018 10:05 AM
    Reply # 6697005 on 6696921

It’s okay.....I found it......cheers

• 29 Sep 2018 9:33 AM
    Reply # 6698101 on 6696921

Observe that the thicker distance should be at the clutch end. That is because the mainshaft ledge must putrode further out than the sprocket gear and its nut. If not, the kicker ratchet spring washer will drag on the nut, the friction prevents the spring and kicker gear from spin with the mainshaft and that will make a lot of ratcheting noice, the kicker will not return freely when the engine has started. Check that the cupped washer is hardened or it will rapidly wear a groove by the ledge and will drag. If the washer isn't hardened, wear can be prevented with a ring or a turn cut off a coil spring, on the shaft before the washer. Even better if you can fixate the ring on the washer, pin or solder.

For smooth kicker function, don't forget to drip a drop of oil now and then through the small hole in the chaincover, the chain grease and oil thrown about does not reach the end of the mainshaft with ratchet and kicker gear.

Last modified: 30 Sep 2018 9:26 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.