The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Kick Starter ‘29 scout

• 03 Nov 2018 4:27 PM
    Message # 6887260
    Anonymous

Hi members ...on an Indian Rally this weekend in Raymond Terrace New South Wales, beating the drum for 101 Association members and riding my trusty ‘29 101 steed, which covered a 130 mile distance well, on some testy terrain, with steep inclines.  The steed had a Goulding chair attached, two riders and some personal belongings.  Considering this weight, the trusty steed did well.  Close to the end, on starting the bike, the kick starter did not release, but remained fully extended.  After some 10 seconds, it disengaged and returned.  Prior to this, I did notice a weak return spring, where, on starting the bike, the starter would not return, requiring me to manually, with my heel, nudge it back to position.  Is it just the return spring that needs replacing, or is there now some other underlying problem that needs attention also.  Moreover, has the weak return spring caused a secondary problem, by allowing the starter to remain engaged, for sometime, after the bike starts !

• 04 Nov 2018 11:31 AM
    Reply # 6887990 on 6887260

It could be as easy as the kicker gear is sticking a bit on the mainshaft. There's a small hole at the front of the chainguard. A few drops of oil in there lubricates the shaft and ratchet gear for the kicker. The cupped washer for the ratchet spring might need some drops as well and that takes some target squirting with the oilcan. Also a good idea is to give the kicker pedal shaft a few pump strokes with the greasegun.

But a fair warning, a more serious fault if the sprocket nut is loose. The nut can jam the spring so those symtoms show up. You might have to grab the sprocket with a plier and wiggle or put your finger in there to feel if the nut is loose. 

Another thing that I can think of is because of the added strain of the sidecar and hills, is that the engine moved/turned slightly in the bolt holes and that made the kicker and -gear got too close to each other. Loosen up the front and rear bolt and reposition the engine, preferebly inspect the gearbox bolt hole for ovality, maybe that needs addressing.

Last modified: 04 Nov 2018 12:01 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 22 Dec 2018 3:53 PM
    Reply # 6970275 on 6887260
    Anonymous

Compliments to Carl Renquist and his technical expertise.  Removing the kicker stop bracket and winding, in an anti clockwise direction, one full revolution,increased spring tension and the kicker returns well.  Great advice Carl Renquist ...worked a treat !!  The best part ...it even cleared that chain guard, whilst chainguard remained in place.  How easy is that !  

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.