The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Welcome to the 101 Association Forum

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   Next >  Last >> 
  • 27 Jul 2009 3:04 PM
    Reply # 200129 on 188180
    Arnt-Eirik Rian wrote:

Thats about the same milage that I get out of a tank on my 1930 mod,does anyone know if its possible to get copper head gasket? I think that I have to change head gasket very often.

Thanks

In Austria it is made like that: http://www.austrian-indian-riders.at/Bilder/AustrianIndianTour09/P1040686gr.jpg
    (on the picture you see my friends Flo Faltin and Brukhard Schlüns making a gasket for Flo´s 101 out of 8mm roofer-copper)

Best wishes,
    Florian G.
  • 11 Aug 2009 3:58 PM
    Reply # 205908 on 70747
    Deleted user

Hello, I have been told by earlier owner that my 1930,101 scout had chrome rims as original options.Was they delivered with chrome rims? I thought that it was only black.

Thanks

Arnt-Eirik

Norway

• 06 Nov 2009 7:18 PM
    Reply # 241105 on 70747
    Anonymous

The leaf spring on my '31 101 is a bit tired. As a result the rocker at the front axle is level instead of being at a 30 deg. angle. So, in effect, I have no front suspension.

A friend that professionally restores indians said I need to get a wedge for the spring assembly to get the angle restored.

Do any of you have experience with this? Is there a wedge available, or is it a do-it-yourself item? Is this a bad thing to do, and the only option is to replace the springs?

Please let me know!

Thank you,

Nick Dounias

• 01 Jan 2010 11:18 AM
    Reply # 262428 on 70747
    Hi folks, wish you all the best for 2010 and many safe, reliable and funny miles astride 101 scouts :)
    jan
  • 02 Jan 2010 6:01 PM
    Reply # 262849 on 200129
    Florian Gsottbauer wrote:
    Arnt-Eirik Rian wrote:

Thats about the same milage that I get out of a tank on my 1930 mod,does anyone know if its possible to get copper head gasket? I think that I have to change head gasket very often.

Thanks

In Austria it is made like that: http://www.austrian-indian-riders.at/Bilder/AustrianIndianTour09/P1040686gr.jpg
    (on the picture you see my friends Flo Faltin and Brukhard Schlüns making a gasket for Flo´s 101 out of 8mm roofer-copper)

Best wishes,
    Florian G.

In the USA, I got some 101 copper head gaskets from Indian Ray, indian0148@aol.com.  They were really for a sport scout head, but I needed them in a hurry & elongated the 3 holes closest to the valves & trimmed the outside.  They worked fine all season.  I was careful to re-torque the head bolts twice - some became loose.
    I hear that Eddie.foster@tycohealth.com.au has copper gaskets that fit the 101 heads, but they are expensive.

• 25 Feb 2010 10:36 AM
    Reply # 296668 on 70747
    Deleted user

Hello, I just joined (embarassingly late that is as I have had my 101 for about 8 years plus now) and of course I have a number of questions. My Scout 1930 EngNo EGP857 was exported to Germany and sold through a Berlin dealer whose brass paque still features prominently on the front fender. The bike itself has had an interesting history. Reportedly it was bricked in in a Berlin celar during wwi to prevent a draft into the German army (that would have been an interesting one) only to be forrgotten. It resourfaced after the fall of the wall and I believe went from Mr Timmermann to Mr Forbes to myself. Now somewhere inbetween some of the original parts were replace (actually more like all) This means I now have a bike in as found condition that runs..... but to make it completely original I would have to replace the rare bits that were replaced.... front and rear light, handle bars, carburetor (don't believe a Linkert is good enough here), generator and magneto. ie I have a very very expensive and lengthy undertaking at hand. My questions are what were the specifications of the carb, magneto and generator that were used on German export models and where should I look also, does anyone have anything on the history of my bike. I am sure this one has been covered in the press somewhere but I havent found anything and lastly does anyone know where I can get a German front frender licence plate ;o) not much I am asking

• 17 May 2010 5:04 PM
    Reply # 345070 on 296668
    oliver wulff wrote:

Hello, I just joined (embarassingly late that is as I have had my 101 for about 8 years plus now) and of course I have a number of questions. My Scout 1930 EngNo EGP857 was exported to Germany and sold through a Berlin dealer whose brass paque still features prominently on the front fender. The bike itself has had an interesting history. Reportedly it was bricked in in a Berlin celar during wwi to prevent a draft into the German army (that would have been an interesting one) only to be forrgotten. It resourfaced after the fall of the wall and I believe went from Mr Timmermann to Mr Forbes to myself. Now somewhere inbetween some of the original parts were replace (actually more like all) This means I now have a bike in as found condition that runs..... but to make it completely original I would have to replace the rare bits that were replaced.... front and rear light, handle bars, carburetor (don't believe a Linkert is good enough here), generator and magneto. ie I have a very very expensive and lengthy undertaking at hand. My questions are what were the specifications of the carb, magneto and generator that were used on German export models and where should I look also, does anyone have anything on the history of my bike. I am sure this one has been covered in the press somewhere but I havent found anything and lastly does anyone know where I can get a German front frender licence plate ;o) not much I am asking

Look at Jerry Hatfield´s book ´´Indian scout´´ on page 40
  • 30 May 2010 12:02 AM
    Reply # 351366 on 70747
    Deleted user
    hi, does anyone know where i could get a new set of points for my ns magneto?
  • 26 Jul 2010 10:59 AM
    Reply # 390262 on 296668
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)
    oliver wulff wrote:

hi oliver , contact me and i can give you a list of parts suppliers for different parts you may need .i saw your bike last autumn , and have some pictures  , so i have an idea of what you need .

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.