The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Two steps forward, three back

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
  • 10 Apr 2019 3:15 PM
    Reply # 7276565 on 7158645
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Further note to above, service shots 1939 tell me that t slot pistons have a fully floating wrist pin, which should be able to be pushed in by hand at room temp, so I stand corrected.

Also for clarification, a little end bushing reamed at 0.001" Will  soon bed in to be about 0.0015". A honed 0.001" will stay pretty much at that. This is a good clearance for someone running a bike in very carefully. Racing clearances for bikes run hard would be 0.0015- 0.0025". Bonneville chiefs are recommended 0.003"

• 23 May 2019 12:53 PM
    Reply # 7370177 on 7158645

Now I have machined both con rod bushes  and fitted them. The wrist pins pushed in and out with my little finger , so pretty close to tolerance I would say. I have now fitted the new cylinders and also had to make one new bush for the oil pump drive timing gear. Now with the bike mostly in one piece, I have a problem. If the crankshaft is at certain positions, TDC or BDC it is impossible to rotate the engine with the kick start. It was fine when barrels were not on the engine and also fine before the timing gears were fitted. I am wondering if the timing cover is nipping up too tight due to a thin gasket  and locking the gears (or a gear) up. ?  Any thoughts here welcome before I pull it all to bits again !!  Mike.

• 25 May 2019 4:14 AM
    Reply # 7407553 on 7158645

The only thing that turns the same speed as the crank is the crank itself, and very little else apart from compression at every other revolution, is resisting at TDC and BDC other than the valves open, so either the crank is crooked or some valves is sticking.

Before major disassembly, first I'd remove the plugs to feel if the engine turns heavy still, a little oil down the cylinders is good. Is the head gaskets overhanging in the cylinders and pistons touch? The engine should be easy to turn with just a hand on the kicker, but with just some resistance from the valve springs is normal. Then I'd open the valve lash maximum, turn down the screws maximum and check again if the engine turns heavy at the same piston position.

Then just loosen the cam cover screws a couple of turns to check if that free up the engine, before further disassembly. Is the trouble found behind either the cam cover, clutch cover or in the cylinders?

I'd check pinion gear lash and maybe drive gear lash to eliminate the possibility of a crooked crank or (new) off center ground pinion gear, or perhaps a too tall woodruff key that makes the pinion gear or the drive gear crooked or oval? The magneto gear lash must not be tight, a faint click-clack must be heard from the gears in any position or it will wear the mag bearings fast..

Then remove the cams to check if the resistance is because some of the valves are bent...

After that it is remove the cylinders to check if the rods are bent, with tight pin bushings or too long bushings a bent rod is more visible. Check if cylinders are straight and square.. A rough indication can be done just with the heads removed and check that the piston sideplay is equal at TDC, mid stroke and BDC.

Whatever you or anybody else do, don't force the engine try to start it despite turning heavy or making strange noise, it will cost more than it is worth in the end.. This is far from the worst that I've seen on youtube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcpU0ucwtuk

Last modified: 26 May 2019 7:34 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 26 May 2019 1:15 PM
    Reply # 7434903 on 7158645

Hello Mike , you say will not turn over with the kick starter , will it any other way ? i.e. in gear turning the rear wheel or turning sprocket nut on gearbox ?

Ken

• 25 Jun 2019 11:52 AM
    Reply # 7654691 on 7158645

Well it just seems like it is a slightly tight engine. All parts seem to rotate as required and nothing on its own is tight. I was making the elementary mistake of turning the engine over with the rear wheel in first gear, when that should have been top gear. !!

Now back to completing the sidecar parts and am working on the body. So far have taken nearly 2 kg. of paint and filler off it !! I have decided to get a replica body made by our local metal shaper as the work involved in the old body would cost much more to fix than making new. If anyone is interested in a new sidecar body, then it may well be easier for my man to make two in one go. The body I am using for the pattern is an early Princess, around 1927 or so I believe.

1 file
  • 25 Jun 2019 12:01 PM
    Reply # 7654775 on 7158645

This is my sidecar which looks a lot better than it is. Probably 40 or more holes in it which should not be there and several nasty repairs, not to mention all the dents.

Photo below is the rebuilt frame waiting for the body.

Mike.

2 files
<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.