The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Head Gaskets

• 29 Jul 2019 10:47 PM
    Message # 7803039
    Anonymous

Hi members ...I have composite gaskets.  After checking the barrel and head with a straight edge to ensure they are even, do I use any gasket cement/adhesive/glue or no adhesive.  I will be using a drop of oil on the studs, after I ensure all threads are clean and do not bind.  Give me your thoughts fellow members ...chears.

• 17 Aug 2019 11:17 PM
    Reply # 7834090 on 7803039

Composite gasket, it depends if there is a copper layer on one or both sides. If it is on just one side, the gasket I know about glues itself to one of the surface and is virtually impossible to remove without destruction. It is reusable if not removed, so it is a choice of what surface it should stick to. With a gasket that can't be removed is a pain in the ass to decoke the engine. Is it layered on both sides, then it might be possible to remove and reuse if you do not use certain gluing gasket sealer. I don't know how the Permatex copper spray is to use. The gasket is much more resistant to blow through if the edge against the combustion chamber is covered with the copper layer.

Blow through is most often caused by headbolts loosening up and my guess it has little effect to glue the gasket. The copper layer conforms to the minute ripples on the surface and keeps tight if the damn headbolts can hold their end of the bargain..

1 file
    Last modified: 17 Aug 2019 11:21 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 01 Sep 2019 9:38 PM
    Reply # 7859445 on 7803039
    Anonymous

Thanks Carl Erik 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.