The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

front wheel offset on drum side

• 07 Aug 2019 12:48 PM
    Message # 7816780

I'm lacing up my '29 hub with roller bearings to a new drop center rim and when I look in the R&O I find two different measurements for the offset of the rim to the drum flange.  Page 20 of the R&O advises that the outer edge of the rim is even with the inner edge of the brake drum flange.  Tech Tip 11 advises the outer edge of the rim should be 1/8" to 3/16" inside of the brake drum flange.  I'm guessing that since the Tech Tip came later then this is the correct offset to use?

2 files
  • 09 Aug 2019 8:59 PM
    Reply # 7821297 on 7816780

I will also note that in the video in Cannonball Videos (on this site) where George talks about truing the wheel he advises that he lines up the edge of the rim with the edge of the brake drum.

• 11 Aug 2019 8:51 PM
    Reply # 7823159 on 7816780
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Harry. I have just taken approximate measurements off a 1928 scout with drop centres, a 31 scout , and 5 drop centre front wheels. All are slightly different, and vary from flush with the front of the brake plate (1) to 1/4" (1)

The rest are somewhere in between 1/8" and 3/16". My guess is that George intended to have the rear of the brake plate flange approximately in line with the outer edge of the rim, and the tech tip has a line drawn in the wrong place.

Again, my assumption is that the centre of the rim should sit on a plane that bisects the length of the hollow axle, in order to have the rim centred between the rockers when the wheel is installed, so it may help to assemble the bearings and brake plate in the hub to check this out. 

Please let me know what you come up with, I will investigate further. 

Does anyone else have any definitive info on this ? If we have conflicting info in the manual it would be nice to clarify the situation.

• 12 Aug 2019 5:23 PM
    Reply # 7824891 on 7816780

Thanks Tim!  Centered on the hollow axle is the key information here.  BTW, in my original question I referred to the wrong Tech Tip (I said Tech Tip #11), it's actually Tech Tip #6 (I attached a copy of the page from Tech Tip #6) that shows the different offset that doesn't match page #20 of the main R&O. 

Last modified: 12 Aug 2019 5:25 PM | Harry Roberts
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.