The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Chainguard

• 14 Aug 2019 5:29 PM
    Message # 7828393
    Anonymous
    On tbe gearbox appears a stud, which is one of two points that secures the foremost part of tbe chainguard.  This stud is front bottom.  On loosening the nut on this stud, it began to bind and caused the stud to screw out with it.  A closer look revealed, that gearbox oil was also leaking from that point.  Is this normal ?  When I screwed the stud back in, it seated, the nut loosened and was again, able to secure the guard.  
  • 17 Aug 2019 7:13 PM
    Reply # 7833914 on 7828393

No, normally that stud hole isn't drilled through. Probably the nut has nipped previously and the stud has been screwed in too far and cracked the case through. I'd glue the stud with strong Locktite. The stud material is soft and the threads might be stretched..or worn thin by a rattling chainguard. Check that the nut turns easily all the way on the stud. Next level is to drill and rethread the case.

Last modified: 17 Aug 2019 7:23 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 19 Aug 2019 12:24 AM
    Reply # 7835248 on 7828393

As per the manual pictures, leaking from this point isn't normal as it should be a blind hole......however I have the same problem and found on two gearbox cases that the tapped hole goes straight through into the gearbox. Might be a fault of re-tapping or previous repair. I solved the problem with a new stud and some locktite.

• 27 Aug 2019 11:53 PM
    Reply # 7852526 on 7828393
    Anonymous

Thank you for your replies ...as always, this site excels with great knowledge and advice.  I will remove the stud, check its thread and case thread.  If necessary, re tap the case hole and repair the stud thread, rep,acing stud with loctite sealant.  Thanks

• 28 Aug 2019 7:55 AM
    Reply # 7852935 on 7828393
    Anonymous

I have accessed the stud.  There appears to be good thread purchase left in the gearbox case.  It does appear however, that the chain guard has loosened previously and burred the tbread.  I have removed the stud and run a 1/4 inch 24 tpi die over it, thus recutting the damaged thread.  Does the stud, when screwed into the gearcase bottom out in a blind hole ?  I screw the stud into the case thread and it enters approx. 9/16” to 5/8” before it bottoms out.  Is this normal ?  

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.