The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Looking for 101 light switch

• 17 Dec 2019 9:39 AM
    Message # 8305922

Hello,

Anybody have a light switch for sale or know where I can get one?  

Regards,

Bill Erickson

ericksons4a@gmail.com

• 17 Dec 2019 6:56 PM
    Reply # 8310324 on 8305922

Original light switch bodys was made up of a early bakelite where the bulk (or fill) material was cotton lump. That lump expands with moisture and crack the bakelite, so they don't age well and are brittle at best. So original light switch bodys are rare and really belong on the fireplace mantle or in a museum. The switch knob is very brittle as well, it deteriorate with age as it is made of pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. Depending on the exact metals "thrown into the pot," pot metal become unstable over time, as it has a tendency to bend, distort, crack, shatter, and pit with age.

I am not saying an original switch is not usable if you find one, just be very careful and take good care of it. 

• 18 Dec 2019 12:48 AM
    Reply # 8312789 on 8305922

My original switch  although in nice looking condition    (new lever) added 

has a small leakage ,Enough to make the LED tail light  glow ,My other  101 has a Reno CZ    reproduction   and works fine

regards Phil

• 18 Dec 2019 11:13 AM
    Reply # 8317244 on 8305922

Inside the switch body, the brass buttons of the switch mechanism can leave a trail of brass residue, grease and dirt that acts like a current leader. The switch is easy to take apart to fix that leakage with a little bit of cleaning. On the same time a layer of clear coat or lacquer can be applied inside and out to seal up the body and prevent further degradation from moisture.

Led lights can be very sensible of current interference so just that the leads are twisted can make leds glow faintly.

Last modified: 18 Dec 2019 11:23 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 18 Dec 2019 2:12 PM
    Reply # 8318871 on 8310324
    Carl-Erik Renquist wrote:

Original light switch bodys was made up of a early bakelite where the bulk (or fill) material was cotton lump. That lump expands with moisture and crack the bakelite, so they don't age well and are brittle at best. So original light switch bodys are rare and really belong on the fireplace mantle or in a museum. The switch knob is very brittle as well, it deteriorate with age as it is made of pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. Depending on the exact metals "thrown into the pot," pot metal become unstable over time, as it has a tendency to bend, distort, crack, shatter, and pit with age.

I am not saying an original switch is not usable if you find one, just be very careful and take good care of it. 

Thanks very much for the info.  I would be perfectly happy with a repop switch, just unsure of where I could get one.
  • 18 Dec 2019 2:15 PM
    Reply # 8318901 on 8312789
    Philip Jenner wrote:

My original switch  although in nice looking condition    (new lever) added 

has a small leakage ,Enough to make the LED tail light  glow ,My other  101 has a Reno CZ    reproduction   and works fine

regards Phil

Thanks Phil.  Any idea where I can get the Reno CZ switch?  -Bill
  • 18 Dec 2019 10:36 PM
    Reply # 8322695 on 8305922

Start by  searching http://reno.indianmoto.cz/index.php?

then  http://reno.indianmoto.cz/index.php?id_product=324&controller=product&id_lang=1

it says out of stock     dont worry about that  , ask  and most likely will have 

Petr  has always been easy and good to deal with 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.