The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Peacock for engine oil level

• 30 Jan 2020 1:54 AM
    Message # 8701952
    Anonymous

Hi all 

I was thinking of putting a peacock on my engine oil level to save taking the plug in and out which may be threading the case. Does anyone know what size may be suitable?  It seems to be a 3/8 x 24 unf thread or is this a bad idea?

• 31 Jan 2020 1:38 AM
    Reply # 8703771 on 8701952
    Mario Scida wrote:

Hi all 

I was thinking of putting a peacock on my engine oil level to save taking the plug in and out which may be threading the case. Does anyone know what size may be suitable?  It seems to be a 3/8 x 24 unf thread or is this a bad idea?

I used a 3/8x24 old feul peacock from an old chief, that works fine.
    2 files
  • 31 Jan 2020 7:58 AM
    Reply # 8704019 on 8701952
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Mario, Robert is correct in fitting an old petcock from a chief.

The thread IS NOT 3/8 24, DO NOT TRY AND FIT A SCREW THAT SIZE !!!!

it IS 1/8" National pipe thread (NPT) which has a tapered thread of 27 threads per inch, which is the thread on the fitting of Roberts old chief gas tap.

• 31 Jan 2020 10:00 AM
    Reply # 8704231 on 8704019
    Tim Raindle wrote:

Hi Mario, Robert is correct in fitting an old petcock from a chief.

The thread IS NOT 3/8 24, DO NOT TRY AND FIT A SCREW THAT SIZE !!!!

it IS 1/8" National pipe thread (NPT) which has a tapered thread of 27 threads per inch, which is the thread on the fitting of Roberts old chief gas tap.

Not sure when this changed, but my 24 Chief does NOT have a 1/8"NPT thread for the oil plugs. It does use a straight thread and I believe it is a 3/8 24 thread. I was under the impression the Scout was the same. My 31 Chief does have an NPT thread but I thought they had been changed.

I had original plugs that fit properly in the oil holes, it had a shoulder and a small gasket on it. I made a number of spare plugs with a shoulder and a small hex head rather than the silly slotted head. The plug used a small fiber gasket. I've seen many early cases that had this thread but were changed to 1/8" NPT

This worked well, but for the Cannonball, I wanted a faster way to drain the crankcase as I ran oil control rings and changed oil every gas stop, about 50- 60 miles. I also wanted to be able to quickly drain off excess oil if needed, or test the level, by opening the top plug.  So, I machined special fittings to adapt small petcocks. On the case end it was 3/8" 24 with a shoulder and a fiber gasket. On the other end it was a 1/8" male NPT, from there, a close ratio 90* elbow and a petcock.  It was very cozy to get it all in there but it worked great! 

When we stopped for gas I had a small can that fit under the drain. Open the lower valve quickly to drain the oil, gas up, add 2 stroke oil to the gas (1 1/4 oz per gallon), close the drain, open the overflow valve, 2 1/2 pumps on the hand oiler and as soon as it started dripping out the overflow petcock, close that one and off we go.  It worked great!  I still use it today. The only drawback is if the bike sits for a long time I want to double check the oil level before starting, so I drain it all out and reset the oil level. If the oil is thick, it takes for ever to drain!  However, when riding, it's plenty hot and it runs right out.  Also, about every 2000 miles I flush the crankcase with diesel fuel to get all the crud out.

Interesting thing on oil, every 50-60 miles I drained out about 3-4 oz and it was horrible looking, like it had been in a 2 stroke diesel engine for years!  That's why I changed oil so often. Even at that, the most oil I ever used in 1 day was just less than 1 quart (64 oz), and at the end of the day I would drain my waste cans which held 32 oz total. That was running hard, 45-50 mph fully loaded with sidecar and passenger.

OK, OK, Chief, chief, chief.....  But it applies to the 101 as well, the chief is just a scout on steroids!   Hope this is helpful information.

2 files
  • 31 Jan 2020 6:42 PM
    Reply # 8705396 on 8701952
    Anonymous

Thanks for that info,the plug that is in it seems to measure 3/8 x24 unf I will check ,my bike after sitting several days tends to wet sump and taking that plug out very often is starting to wear the thread on the case so I thought a petcock seems more practical,I think the old measure twice cut once rule may apply I would hat to thread the case so all info is much appreciated,I’m getting conflicting advice on oil is straight 50 the way to go many thanks all

mario

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.