The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Autolite generator

• 23 Feb 2020 5:04 AM
    Message # 8764514
    Anonymous

Hi members ...On my 45 cubic inch scout, I have an autolite generator, hence the questions that follow.

Firstly, how many drops and what grade of oil do I place in the oilers at either end of the generator ?

Secondly, I have read, that the cut out points are set at 25 thou and the air gap is set at 30 thou.  I have also read, that the points close at 900 rpm and on closing should produce 6.4 volts.  Is this 6.4 volts reflected across the battery terminals on a multimeter ?

The upper arm on the cut out switch is spring loaded.  When I measure battery voltage across the terminals prior to starting the bike I get 5.9 volts.  Gen belt tension/slack is set at 3/4 inch mid point btw. pulleys.  

On starting the bike, after I had cleaned the points with a points file, the reading across the battery terminals was 5.7 volts.  This difference I think was the coil ignition drain.  (1934 scout).

After reading some literature, I do not understand what is meant by the term ‘air gap’.  Is the 25 thou gap checked when the upper spring loaded arm is depressed down until it just rests on a shoulder.  Once released, the gap of course becomes much larger.  Is that larger gap, what they refer to as the ‘air gap’ !

This is uncharted ground for me, so any assistance is greatly appreciated good fellows!

• 29 Feb 2020 2:32 PM
    Reply # 8784203 on 8764514
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Danny, have you read thru the tips on autolite on Splitdorfreg.com ?

http://www.splitdorfreg.com/Autolite%20Information/Autolite_GAS_Installation.htm

• 04 Mar 2020 7:23 AM
    Reply # 8793377 on 8764514
    Anonymous

Thank you Tim ...no I have not.  But accessing that good material now.  Thanks good fellow.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.