The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

spring for iinlet & exhaust valves

• 03 Mar 2020 11:13 AM
    Message # 8791675

Hi Indian guys all over the world,

does anybody knows the dimensions of springs for inlet & exhaust valves for 37cu.in. engine? Is it identical to 45 cu.in. according page 30 of manual?

Best regards from Germany

• 04 Mar 2020 2:45 AM
    Reply # 8793099 on 8791675

Yes they are the same on both engines. The valve stems are a bit shorter on the 37 because the cylinders are shorter, or more correct the deck height is lower, but the springs are the same. Take contact with Jurgen Hecker in Germany, he can help you forward. He also makes new Scout cams and camshafts with the gear for the oil pump.

When I met him lately, he mentioned that he has a few restored oversize oil pump drums and I suppose oil pump bodys. I forgot to ask him about the pump bodys.

https://www.hecker101.de/neue-indianace-teile/nocken/

OOps!! pointed out by Mark here below, the valves and springs are not same. 37ci and 45ci valves and springs have different part numbers in the part books so logically there should be a difference. I have a box of used springs in all various lengths and with a high degree of certainess fatigue and wear is result of that. Some are shiny on the sides, worn by rubbing the inside of the shields. I wouldn't reinstall any of them. 

1 file
    Last modified: 27 May 2020 4:51 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 14 May 2020 7:10 AM
    Reply # 8968105 on 8791675

Hi guys 

interesting question about the valves i saw somewhere on here a specification and drawings for the 45 ci valves springs guides collets and collars it was labelled the 101 association dated 8.4.97  it showed the valve springs all dimensions and pressure when compressed etc as well as all the vlave dimensions. 

is there such a drawing for the 37 ci valves? 

1 file
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.