The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

My front end just fell off....

• 09 Mar 2020 9:49 PM
    Message # 8816008

I have never heard of something like this, but I lifted my 101 up on my motorcycle lift.  It sat in the air for about a week and then the entire front end fell off!  I have only ridden this once since I got it, figured it would be a good idea to go through it front to back before riding it any distance.  I can't imagine what would have happened if that stem would have broken at speed.   Any ideas how to fix this?  Hopefully this doesn't mean that I need the entire front end.

Thanks,

Bill

2 files
  • 10 Mar 2020 3:08 AM
    Reply # 8816317 on 8816008
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Ouch. Yes that is not entirely unknown, Bill. The threads are often damaged at the top of the pin, and replacing the whole pin is a bit of a chore, so people often just weld a new top part on. Unfortunately, as with most areas of the frame, the fork is brazed together, and steel welding on somewhere that has bronze on it will cause an admix of bronze and steel, creating a repair with the strength of a piece of soggy cardboard.

A new piece can be brazed into the fork assembly. It is not an easy job, but perfectly doable for someone familiar with bronze welding/brazing. 

• 10 Mar 2020 3:44 AM
    Reply # 8816337 on 8816008
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Bill, an entirely new headstock pin will need to be brazed in place. The original was pinned into place and brazed in at the factory in several stages, with two spigots/locating tubes in the headstem. The reason your previous repair failed was because someone welded the pin near to these and melted the bronze into the steel.

The old pin will need to be removed,and a replacement brazed into place. There is a dowel pin located horizontally. A replacement headstem may be purchased from Randy Walker. 

I clean the joint and then drill thru the casting and pin front to back for a locating dowel, ( the original runs left to right), then braze the pin in. 

Care must be taken whenever heating the fork, remember that the handlebar assembly is also the top triple tree, so that needs to be in place and clamped up to ensure the new pin is central, and the fork does not flex and move elsewhere.

As the casting you are brazing into is cast malleable iron, it should not be steel welded, but brazed, and care should be taken to cool it slowly, or it may crack. Make sure the guy carrying out this repair is familiar with bronze and bronze welding/brazing on antique motorcycle frames. I have only known successful repairs here with oxy-acetylene torch and bronze.

• 10 Mar 2020 1:26 PM
    Reply # 8819338 on 8816008

Thanks for the information, Tim.  Fellow group members - if you know of someone that is capable of doing this kind of work could you please let me know?  You can email me at ericksons4a@gmail.com.

Regards,

Bill

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.