The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Advice Needed - Primary Cover & Magneto

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 13 Apr 2020 7:49 PM
    Reply # 8897084 on 8855168
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Removed my primary cover today and quickly figured out why the bottom bolt was loose - there's a stub of a broken bolt in the threaded hole already.  No wonder the replacement bolt wasn't catching.  Hopefully some Kroil and vise-grips will get that broken stub out.

I mentioned that a tractor mechanic has had his way with my Scout.  The primary was held together by a mish-mash of hex head and square head bolts of wildly varying length.  The photo is of my favorite combination - using a hex nut as  spacer under the square bold head.  On a "proper" Scout, are the primary bolts all hex-head?

1 file
  • 14 Apr 2020 8:08 AM
    Reply # 8897711 on 8855168
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

John, primary all studs with a nut and lockwasher on either end, except for the one that is tapped into the tranny case, ( nut and washer on the outside).

Wouldn't mess around too much here, easiest option is to buy a full set from Randy.

• 14 Apr 2020 6:06 PM
    Reply # 8900248 on 8855168
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

I could sure use a photo of the tool you use to remove the magneto gear from inside the cam case.  With the narrow space behind the gear, and the narrow space between the gear and the surrounding casting, I'm having a hell of a time coming up with a solution.

Thanks!

John

• 15 Apr 2020 9:25 AM
    Reply # 8901220 on 8855168
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Have to say I have never used a puller here John. You can usually free off a taper once the nut is removed by tapping very gently and rapidly around the outside diameter of the gear. Very gently being the operative phrase here, as Carl-Erik points out, the shaft is cast malleable and is easily bent or damaged.

A very small jewellers hammer is ideal for this. 

You will be wanting to put the screws back in the mag before you do that, or use a puller, by the way.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.